JT6 vs Original Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 vs Original Floyd Rose

ok there seems to be alot going on about this, now i own a Model 6 and im fine with my JT6 I don't really have any problems in fact the only problems i do have are NOT WITH the JT6 but with the string locks!

anyway i just wanna know what are the real pro's of getting a real floyd put in over the JT6? what type of improvements would it give?
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Put it this way.

I have yet to see any pro using a JT6 on their guitars.

Period.

The Floyd Rose Original is the finest (and as a result most expensive) double locking tremolo avaliable.

Every single high end guitar manufacture from Jackson, Suhr and many others use nothing but the OFR on their models.

Every cheaper trem from the Schaller to the JT6 uses cheaper and far inferior cast metal that seriously kills the tone.

I have even started to stay away from the German Schallers as I DO hear a difference between them and the OFR.

If the JT6 works for you and you are happy with your tone then by al means stick with it.

Comment

I dont think the jt-6 would have gotten such a bad rap if it were not for the stringlock. You didnt have to be a pro to have issue with it. Same with the kahler.

Comment

Schaller made the OFR's in Germany for Floyd Rose.Thickness of the baseplate is different thats about it.Schaller trems aren't cheaper made trems.
        The JT-6 is a good trem for the most part I like them a lot and never had one go down on me.
        I like the Kahler string lock too never had a problem with them either.
        You can cut a shelf for a Floyd nut but I don't see the need to.
        Remember some Jackson necks you can't do that too because of the truss rod so you have to make a wedge or platform for the nut to sit on.
        Dude you can send me all the schaller trems you can get your hands on I love em'.
        The model 6 I wouldn't mod just keep the Kahler style string lock.
        To get back to the point of this tread the OFR will drop right in to the model 6 no problem the JT-6 studs will work fine.
        My 87 USA Jackson came with an OFR and it has the JT-6 studs so no probs there.
        Last edited by straycat; 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post

Every single high end guitar manufacture from Jackson, Suhr and many others use nothing but the OFR on their models.
          Suhr only uses Gotoh Floyds.

But I agree... the build quality of the JT-6 is terrible.
          -Rick

Comment

I agree.

The quality of construction and components (particularly the metal) on the JT6 are poor.

However, I do have several guitars equipped with a JT6 that do sound pretty good, and feel-wise it's fine.

Actually, I have always thought it was a good design and think it would be an excellent trem if it were made properly.

Has anyone tried a big block upgrade on the JT6?
            GM,
            www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
              The quality of construction and components (particularly the metal) on the JT6 are poor.

However, I do have several guitars equipped with a JT6 that do sound pretty good, and feel-wise it's fine.

Actually, I have always thought it was a good design and think it would be an excellent trem if it were made properly.

Has anyone tried a big block upgrade on the JT6?
              Agreed, I always thought the JT6 design was good, especially how the fine tuners were incorporated into the stringlocks. If anyone were to make an all steel version of this trem, I'd think it'd do well. Also, it's different from all other floyds since it has narrower Gibson spacing.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Here is my 2 cents...I have had the JT6, the Original FR and the Kahler Pro...of all 3 the Kahler is my favorite. I have a 1983 Schaller made West Germany Original FR all completely rebuilt on an 85 Tokai/Charvel necked mutt and the Floyd is a troublesome, I just cant get it silky and smooth. I have a few Soloists too that had some issues. I had a 1988 reverse headstock soloist with FR I could NOT keep in tune, period.

But like said, the JT6 is just a fake Floyd and most pro yank them, or just flat out buy USA Jackson or Charvels to begin with.
                Last edited by txrob779; 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM.
                "Everything is bigger in Texas"

Comment

can a kahler replace the JT6? guitar tech (REMEMBER THIS IS AUSSIE DOLLARS!!) gave me a estimated quote of $500 for a OFR but if Kahler is cheaper i might do that.....or i might keep the JT6 cause i do like it but i've been doing heaps of upgrades to my mod 6 like putting EMG-81 and a EMG-SA in it
                  USA Jackson RR1
                  Charvel Model 6
                  Jackson Performer-2
                  Orange Dark Terror
                  EVH 5150 LBX
                  Hello Senòr

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                    Put it this way.

I have yet to see any pro using a JT6 on their guitars.

Period.
                    Phil Collen did on a couple of his guitars. Looks like one on this Kelly.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When Jackson started to put them on their guitars in 87 it was a cost cutting not because they were as good as a OFR. I think JT6 are the wosrt thing Jackson ever did to a great product next was the Kahler.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Phil Collen did on a couple of his guitars.
                        That raises an interesting question. Are players with sponsorships restricted as far as swapping out the OEM hardware on their sig models? If I were Jackson and cutting Phil a check every month, I wouldn't want to see him running around with IBZ pickups and a Gibson TOM on his guits.

Comment

Working...
                        X