What colour do I spray my model 5???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What colour do I spray my model 5???

I picked up a model 5 a fair few months ago on ebay US. It was the deep blue metallic finish, which is an alright finish. It was just a pretty beat up guitar.

So I took the blow torch to her and scraped all the paint off! Have pics, may put something together when it's finished.

Anyway. I know some people who work at a TVR body shop. For those of you who don't know what a TVR is..

They have my model 5 and will be spraying it for me.. as soon as I decide what damn colour I want!

There are a lot of colours availble, but the ones that caught my attention are as follows. I wanted to post a poll, but I couldn't find the option?

Chameleon Orange (Orange that flips to red and gold)
    Chameleon Green (Green that flips to blue and purple)
    Dark green blue/purple flip
    Dark blue green/purple flip
    Yellow metallic
    Electric blue metallic

Not sure what the colour in the image is, but they may be able to do that aswell. It's just a case of going through tins of paint and looking what inside

I have all black hardware waiting to go on. New EMG's and new Kahler, so I'm not too sure about putting another dark colour on there. Decisions, decisions.. :think:

Thanks for looking

My vote:
    Chameleon Green (Green that flips to blue and purple)
    few questions:
    Is this TRV the brand name of chameleon paint?
    What kind of price range is this going to cost you?
    What kind of prep is involved?

This would make my black DK2 very sharp looking.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of flip flop paint on guitars, so I'd get Electric Blue. That's just me, though. One of the Chameleons would definitely give you a one-of-a-kind look. Of those, I'd choose Chameleon Green. Poll or not, this is definitely a personal preference thing that I think you need to decide for yourself. I bet it's going to look awesome no matter what you choose, so be sure to post pics!

Comment

I certainly will post pics don't you worry I know it's down to personal pref, but I just can't decide!

TVR is the manufacturer (was) of the car pictured. They were renowned for crazy paint jobs.

I've found a lot of information about paint etc on a website called www.projectguitar.com great site, there's a lot of information on the forum too. Not sure what prep they will do, I've just stripped the paint off and sanded her down nice and smooth. They will fill the problem areas, prime and spray, then laquer I think.

It's not going to be a cheap job. I really want to have chameleon orange, as it looks really cool, but they didn't have it in, so I may be looking at £350 a litre for that even before they've done anywork. If that's how much it will cost for that particular paint, then it's a no. They estimate that there is 5 hours of work involved, which would be £200 @ £40 an hour, but they said they'll just charge me £100 for the work. Some of the paints they have will only cost me £70 or so.
        Last edited by JFK; 02-01-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I painted one of mine purple that goes to green.

a little green,mostly purple

Mostly purple

all green

Comment

Why are you limited to 6 choices? If I had a body shop doing the work, I'd go for Ferrari red or Corvette yellow or GTO orange. Something fast looking!!

+1 on staying away from flip flops, I had that done to my KV and it grated on me over time

Comment

I for one cannot recommend any single color because I am a graphics junky.

Except with specific classic guitars (Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, etc.) I want all my super-Strats to have custom graphics. I figure why settle for one color when you can have many?

Comment

Paint it White with a Flip Flop Bengal finish, or Flip flop old school flames.
                Something that is unique, yet has the colors you like.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Just spoke to the chap who's taking care of my spray job to let him know that I'm choosing to go with the Chameleon Green.

Best option really, as they already have it in house and it will be a lot cheaper for this reason.

He offered to take pics as they're going a long. He's a good egg!

Once all is done and she's back with me, I'll sort out all my pics and make a thread.

Cheers all

Comment

Working...
                  X