Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 question..

Hi ,

there is a model 5 for sale here in Montreal in the classifieds. Searching in old catalogs, it seems like it's one from 86' as it has the kahler bridge. The thing is, it has jackson active pups, not SD pups.

Has it been modified?

The guys wants about 500 canadian bucks for it. Is it worth it? (I really don't know much about import Charvels...)

Thanks in advance

Those can with jackson pickups. can't remember if they were the active ones though. If it's mint that is about what you should be paying.

Comment

there were no active Jackson pickups. They sometimes were paired with an active preamp.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

there were no active Jackson pickups. They sometimes were paired with an active preamp.
        That's what I meant to say.

Comment

No.The Jackson Pickups and Kahler are original.
          The pickups should be a J-50(neck) and J-80-BC(bridge)The 5A had a J-95 in the bridge
          86 had the Kahler 87-88 had the JT-6 bridge.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So is it an axe to look for? I know that the model 6 seems to be the one everybody is looking for. Still, to me, the model 5 looks like a nice one.

Am I wrond or there's not many of those guitars on the forum?

Comment

Model 5s are awesome. Quite a few people here have them. The 2 hum layout with the special 5-way switch is great, and I prefer it to the HSS layout of the Model 6. IMO, the only thing that makes the 6 more desirable to some is that it has the sharkfin inlays and binding.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Model 5s are awesome. Quite a few people here have them. The 2 hum layout with the special 5-way switch is great, and I prefer it to the HSS layout of the Model 6. IMO, the only thing that makes the 6 more desirable to some is that it has the sharkfin inlays and binding.
                +1

What he said.
                N stuff.
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

thanks for all your answers guys. I appreciate.

Lastly, can you tell me more about the pickups and the Khaler?
                  thanks

Comment

The pickups could be J80C in both positions, or J80C bridge / J50 neck as Richard said above. Not sure if it varied by year, or if some just came with different pickups installed. The official '86 catalog specs are in here:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=10

You can find the pickup specs in the electronics manual here:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=66

The special 5-way switch will split the pickup coils, and in positions 2 & 4 should give you the combo of the outer coil of each pickup or inner coil of each pickup. I'm not sure which position is which.

As for the trem, it's a Kahler Flatmount 2300 series. I think it's the 2320, with brass cam and rollers. Here is the setup manual:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Zips/2200...d%20Setups.pdf
                    Last edited by dg; 02-01-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X