Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confirmation needed for a newbie

Hi all

i bought a Charvel many years ago when i was staying in Virginia (am from northern ireland). I have recently been trying to find out some information about it as it is starting to need some work done.

i own a '91 re-issue gibson firebird but still use this as my main guitar. i recently put new springs onto the Schaller Floyd Rose and can quite literally bounce it up and down on the whammy bar without loss of tuning. these guitars are amazing. i have also replaced the humbucker with a DiMarzio Fred and it sounds incredible! great sustain and great tone especially through a tube amp.

to the point is this an import model 375 deluxe?
    toothpaste logo
    bridge humbucker (original was a jackson)
    single coils at the neck and middle position marked with Jackson name
    schaller tremolo system
    one volume, one tone with 5 way selector in between
    the colour is small speckled colours of black white and grey like granite but a small chip on one of the horns reveals an almost magenta colour underneath that before the wood.
    22 frets
    maple fretboard
    serial 344722
    came with a made to fit hard case with the toothpast style logo on the outside

if you need a picture let me know, especially how to post one!

thanks

darren

Everything about it says 375. The only detail that seems off is the paint, which wasn't one of the the color options listed in the catalogs. It may have been refinished, but may possibly have come that way, since there have been other cases of these guitars coming in finishes that weren't listed. Some Jacksons from that era had granite paint jobs.

Pics would be great. You need to load the picture on a free hosting site, like photobucket.com, and then enter the link to the pic by clicking on the icon that looks like a picture of mountains at the top of the post window. Hope that helps.

Here's the '89 catalog page with the 375 Deluxe:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....348&fullsize=1

'90 / '91 page:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....681&fullsize=1
    Last edited by dg; 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you have a relative of my 375 deluxe. Sounds like yours was definitely repainted with some rattle can granite spray paint from Home Depot. Anyway, it was born looking like mine:

Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

here is a picture of the guitar...

the oriental writing means the 'sound of one hand clapping' signifying the song that everyone has within them..

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

mmmmmmm
              maple
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by porter197 View Post
                here is a picture of the guitar...
                Nice looking guitar!

the oriental writing means the 'sound of one hand clapping' signifying the song that everyone has within them..
                Who told you that?:ROTF:
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

No, it says "One hand fwapping" which is an entirely different thing.

Beautiful guitar though. I'd swipe your (free) arm off for it.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

That's actually a nice looking guit-fiddle.

Didn't Jackson do some cracked granite finishes on some import Professional or Performer Dinkys back in the early to mid 90's? Is this a possible body swap?
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

ok so the oriental writing is a little cheesy... it is from a book called "Guitar Zen" that is a guide as to why you play as opposed to how you play.

Grandturk - is there anyway to tell if it is a body swap?

Comment

Good call on the possible Jackson body. Here's a scan with a Dinky Reverse in granite from '93:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....796&fullsize=1

It's a 24 fretter, but just shows that maybe yours could be another model from that timeframe in that finish. I wonder if there are any ID marks in the neck pocket? Might be worth a look.

Comment

Is that book a good read/helpful in broading our playing styles? Just curious.
                          Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

wetrx95...

the book doesnt contain any guide as to playing the guitar in terms of scales, modes, chords or any songs.

they use a comparison with martial arts whereby instead of gaining a black belt you remain a white belt until it becomes dirty and therefore a black belt... confused?

as many great guitarists say: there is no finish line, there is no point where you learn everything, you are always a beginner just with improved skills and more experience. it helps with ideas like proper practice and self discipline and setting yourself goals

imagine a book that re-affirms your faith in why you play, that in those moments when you throw the guitar down in frustration makes you want to pick it up again and keep going.

here endeth the lesson...

Comment

Thanks Porter. I read up on a couple of the books. I really liked the 'one string concert'.
                              Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Working...
                              X