Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 Questions

Hey All-

As some of you know, I have a Model 3 enroute from the bay. My good friend also has a Model 3, which has brought up a couple of questions:

1) Both of these are outfitted with the JT-6...can a JT580 be swapped in with no mods?

2) I notice the pickups on the two Model 3s are a little different. The Model 3 I am getting is SN# 27xxxx and my buddy's is a 28xxxx, so both from around 1987...but the single coils on his have no Jackson logo and his humbucker has a cover over it, the one I am getting has logo'd single coils and no cover on the hum. Are these the same pickups or are they different?

Thanks!
    Mark

The 1987 Model 3 had (should have) these specs:

And all pickups should be "logo-ed". Maybe the single coils of your bud's guitar and the humbucker of your's have been swapped by their previous owners ?
    As far as I remember various threads, a OFR would be a direct swap for the JT-6 (sustainblock-length ?)
    But I would give it a try first. I just got a Model 5FX with a JT-6 and it works fine !
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Go with an OFR with a 42mm block. The JT-580 is not a bad choice either, but if you're going to swap, you might as well do it right.

As for the pickups, they should have the Jackson logo on them. If not, they may have been swapped out or the cover may have been removed.
      Pop them out and see what the label says on the back of them.
      -Rick

Comment

On your model, the Jackson pickup cover could have been removed too. The only way to really tell is to pop that puppy out and look at the back. As Franx post shows, it should be a J90C in the Bridge. Which is a great pickup in my opinion.
        +1 on the OFR. The trem posts will need to be changed and Budman (member of this forum) can help with the part.

Comment

If we were to go to OFR's, would the locking nut at the headstock need to be swapped out?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
            If we were to go to OFR's, would the locking nut at the headstock need to be swapped out?
            Not necessarily, you could go ahead with the "behind the nut" locking.

It's a bit more than just a "swap" to put the OFR nut in !
            uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
              Nope.
              Leave it unless it's worn and needs to be replaced.
              Go to Budman's web site (http://www.fretsonthenet.com) for some Floyd friendly trem posts.
              http://www.fretsonthenet.com/ImCharv.htm
              You only need the posts.
              -Rick

Comment

I just did this upgrade with my model 4 using budman's (Dave's) posts. Very nice fit and finish. Worked as described.

Comment

Working...
                X