Model 6 vs. New San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 vs. New San Dimas

I had an '86 Model 4 with a kahler. I wasn't a fan of the kahler, so i sold it. the gas is coming back. I haven't been able to find a decent 4, but i've come across a couple of 6's. Should I pick up a 6 or double the price and pick up one of the new san dimas charvels. the new ones are twice the $ new (several used though, these days), but are they twice the axe? I haven't played one. For those of you who have checked out the new charvels (i'm talking the $999 ones), are they so killer that they're worth the extra money? I've heard nothing but good things about them.

thanks

Apples & oranges, imo. 20 years old vs. brand new, neckthrough 24 fret shredder vs. bolt-on 22 fret hot-rodded strat, painted neck vs. oiled neck, dinky vs. fullsize body, H-H vs. HSS.

The new Charvels are a really good value, and you get a brand new guitar for your money. You can score one for ~$750 if you look around. I'd give the stock Duncans or DiMarzios and the Korean OFR the nod over the Jackson pickups & JT-6 trem of the Model 6. I don't own one, but I've played a couple of each model and was pretty impressed. The only reason I haven't bought one or two is that I have other USA Charvels and haven't been buying anything lately.

A Model 6 in good shape in the $450 - $600 range may be one of the best bang-for-the-buck guitars you can buy. Mine has an OFR & Duncans on it, and it hangs with any of my high-dollar USA guitars. If something happened to mine, I'd get another one as soon as possible.

If it were me, I'd base my decision on the specs and whether or not you would rather have a new guitar. The build quality comparison is pretty much a wash, imo.

Comment

I think the new charvel is closer to the M4, 22 frets, strat body. Plenty of cheap,(relatively) ones on ebay, especially with the live.com deal.

Comment

I've got a Model 4, and will soon have one of the USA Production series, which I got to play for the first time last week. As DG says, "apples & oranges" - they are both great guitars but different. Personally I'm not keen on the active electronics in the Model 4, but having said that have 'put up with it' for 20 years - it's always my no.1 choice for practice and still occasionally gig it.

Don't forget that the Model 6 is thru-neck whilst Model 4 (and Prod series) are bolt-ons, so will sound different (I personally prefer bolt-ons with Strat-type guitars), my mate had a Model 6 and preferred my Model 4.

The Production series is a really great spec'd USA guitar for a good price. The neck is immense, and it felt very comfortable coming from a Model 4 - not the same, but the whole guitar had a real quality feel to it, and sounded sweet - the test for me is when you turn down the volume pot, sometimes it can get a bit muddy, but the Charvel cleaned up nicely.

I wouldn't say it's double the guitar for double the price, but then expensive guitars never are (IMHO)...but it is a USA Charvel, the 'holy grail' for many of us :-) And I'm one Model series owner who certainly thinks it's worth splashing out on a US Production series Charvel.

Comment

I've got a Model 4 and a new SD1. The SD1 is a great guitar - I've been playing it non-stop since I bought it. My Model 4 is also a great guitar - and I played it once since I got the new one. I had to put it away because it felt so good.

Point is - there are differences. I've gotten very used to the oiled neck on the SD1. So much so that I was having trouble playing some custom shop strats down at Matt Umanov's last weekend - the necks just felt sticky.

I LOVE the feel of the kahler on the Model 4 - to me, that defines the feel of that guitar.

I wouldn't have regrets over spending another $K on another SD1 or $250 for a Model 4. Bang for the buck has to go to the Model 4 in that comparison. But if you were comparing the SD1 to something priced higher than it, such as a CS Charvel or something, I think the SD1 compares favorably.

-------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
          X