Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I'm thinking of turning my 1986 Charvel Model 3 into a psuedo Charvel So Cal. I have changed the original Kahler fulcrum trem over to the Kahler killer (HIGHLY recommended!!!) but aside from that, not much else has changed. My question is, now that all these strathead necks are available on Ebay, how do I know which one will fit my guitar? I'm looking for a simple swap out. I would change the locking nut (Kahler behind the nut style) over to the new neck, if it will work out that way with the non-tiltback style strathead necks that are available. But so far, it seems that all of the ones on the bay that are specifically for Floyd Rose guitars have the Floyd nut shelf cut into them (again, I am looking for a behind the nut installation of the locking nut), and I need the neck that is built with the Floyd Rose in mind because of the non-tilt strathead (meaning I need a neck that is angled for a Floyd). Any ideas? Or should I just go with the neck I already have...it IS freakin awesome LOL.

Here is a pic of the guitar (with the old Kahler 2500 fulcrum trem).

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1986Model3.jpg

Oh yeah.....anyone out there want to trade their all black Kahler Killer (2700) for my nice'n shiny chrome one with black accents LOL.....I couldn't wait for one to show up on Ebay and grabbed the chrome one instead!
    Last edited by bombtek; 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM. Reason: Cuz I keep remembering stuff I wanted to type in the 1st place but forgot.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

No, you can't have my black Kahler killer Great trems.

Comment

Behind the nut locks really don't work that well on a strat headstock - it can and has been done, but there's a reason why the floyd nut is the standard. Honestly, you're better off with a graphite nut and locking tuners than a behind the nut lock on a strathead.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

To be honest - if it was me - I'd save up and get a SoCal rather than try to emulate a SoCal. The M3 is a nice guitar in its own right, and I don't think it's any less of a Charvel because of the headstock.

Anyway, the neck angle is not built into the necks as far as I know - it's how the neck pocket (in the body) is routed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          To be honest - if it was me - I'd save up and get a SoCal rather than try to emulate a SoCal. The M3 is a nice guitar in its own right, and I don't think it's any less of a Charvel because of the headstock.

Anyway, the neck angle is not built into the necks as far as I know - it's how the neck pocket (in the body) is routed.
          I was always under the impression that it was a combo of both.

Anyways....now that I just resanded , and tung oiled the back of the neck, and REALLY cleaned and then lemon oiled the fretboard, I am reconsidering very seriously on messing with the neck now. The guitar is an absolute KILLER player at this point. I think that the only thing I would do (if a deal works out) is swap out the p/u's for a Tone Zone bridge and Evolution neck hums all wired to the existing 5-way....Do away with the existing single coils and just go double hum.

I've never felt a neck this damn GOOD on any guitar I've played LOL......why mess with that and replace it with an unknown, untested possible POS?

Here is how she now looks (don't know how to use my camera really well LOL)

Last edited by bombtek; 10-04-2008, 08:12 AM. Reason: Had to take the pic
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Bahhhh ........ photographer I'm not LOL

Comment

Might not look like much, but it really is probably the BEST player I've ever got to play....feels like mojo on tap!

Comment

I love my Model series necks too. I think the axe looks just fine!

Comment

Hey, that is a beautiful guitar!

Comment

Working...
                  X