Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 6 Massacre --> Project. (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Massacre --> Project. (pic heavy)

Welp, I bought this Mod 6 from the USA the other week. It arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...759%26_fvi%3D1

Total cost including postage and customs = £190.

It's in pretty bad condition. It seems to be a fairly early model, but I am not an expert. It has no serial at the neck butt. Also the neck is noticeably thicker at fret one than my later Model 6, and more consistent thickness throughout.

I think I might ask if Heinrik/audiozone is interested in the restoration? I know he was looking for a few more project walkthrus. It won't be as good as Budman's though!

Shame, because the paint is a nice sparkle blue, but it is just hosed in some places. Luckily I can get a very very close match from a spray can. It is almost the same as I used for a Fender HM refin.

Here are pics:

Not sure what the Kahler is.

Headstock is kind of trashed:

Neck itself is great shape, no dings at all.

Body damage:

That stuff is kind of icky sticky stuff....I think I got some of the fluff up my nose cause I have been sneezing ever since.

Control cav. plate is cracked. From the seller pcis I had assumed the rear cavity for springs was filled and painted, but the visible lines on the auction are just sticky residue from a massive sticker. There's no cavity there. Kahler does not need one, I suppose. (Kahler noob)

Maybe someone has been using it for BB gun target practice

Electronics cav. :

Nice recent battery. Guessing this was last changed about '96.

Connections insulated with gaffer tape...

Mystery electronics: can anyone help?

EMG held in place with newspaper:

It was advertised as not working, but with a battery change, I get output fine. I think the "not working" description + pic of the circuit may have put some people off hitting the BIN. It plays just fine, frets are still huge, a little worn in places.

I tuned up the 5 strings to standard and they sound ok. I think I will remove the EMG. I put a battery in the connection to the msytery electronics and the LED lit then faded. Doesn't sound good... : |

Should be a fun project....
    Last edited by wanthairspray; 09-24-2008, 04:44 AM.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

I had thought the electronics there was a wireless transmitter, but I have no idea.

Circuit code says:

DESCRIPTION
    "The NE570/571 is a versatile low cost dual gain control circuit in which either channel may be used as a dynamic range compressor or expandor. Each channel has a full-wave rectifier to detect the average value of the signal, a linerarized temperature-compensated variable gain cell, and an operational amplifier. The NE570/571 is well suited for use in cellular radio and radio communications systems, modems, telephone, and satellite broadcast/receive audio systems. "

But I have no idea.

The other chip:

"The MC1458, C was designed for use as a summing amplifier, integrator, or amplifier with operating characteristics as a function of the external feedback components. · No Frequency Compensation Required · Short Circuit Protection · Wide Common Mode and Differential Voltage Ranges · Low Power Consumption · No Latch­Up "

Interestin'...but I guess it'll have to go unless I can find something about WTF it really does!
    Last edited by wanthairspray; 09-24-2008, 04:17 AM.

Comment

1986 Charvel Model 6, with a Kahler Pro trem. Cobalt Blue. I had one just like it, and wish I had it back.

Looks like there's quite a bit of resto work to be done on that headstock. Yikes. Good luck, and keep the pics coming as it's restored.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Hey, at least your headstock is in one piece! It is an '86... as that is the first and last year for Kahlers (I think). Is that a PC or a Mac in the back of that thing?
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

That guitar needs a ton of love...good luck!
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Didn't Nady have a 101GT?
            Here are some useless links.
            http://www.nady.com/aboutus.html
            http://www.candisc.com/ranger/manuals3.htm
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

These projects are always very cool!

I vote you fill back that mystery electronics cavity and make the guitar 1-hum pearl white shredder with black hardware and oiled neck .

Comment

looks like a Wireless unit to me by just looking at it in the pics. What are the wires in the cable soldered to? If it is the input jack, I would guess a wireless. Good Luck, Lots of work there to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                  These projects are always very cool!

I vote you fill back that mystery electronics cavity and make the guitar 1-hum pearl white shredder with black hardware and oiled neck .
                  Not a bad idea at all...
                  5A goodness... Sharkies would make it killer.
                  -Rick

Comment

They did sand the neck. I knew it! It looks bad but not nearly as bad as it did in the ad. I guess I was right in saying that wouldn't look as bad if it was cleaned up a little. It looks bad but not as bad if that makes any sense.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yeah Ben, that makes sense. I mean, I put a new batt. in, plugged in and it plays awesome, as you would expect. Action is scary low.

My hunch at first was, yes the circuit was a wireless, I wrote that in the original post in the Efraid section.

I posted over at DIY ELectronic Proejct forum and some guy said what scotty said, it is most likely a Nady 101. It ftis in, cause the NAdy is mid/late 80s I think.

Thing is, I am trying to work out HTF it would work. Lots of the wires go to the jack, but one is just flopping loose into the cavity, running from the circuit board. No idea where it goes.

Anway, if it is wireless, I assume I get a Nady 101 VHF receiver and try and get it to pick up the signal. Without even plugging anything in, right?

I can get a better pic of the cavity if need be.

It would be a shame to take the paint off as I really dig the cobalt colour (thanks Racer for that). I had thought of Pearl white also but so far I can only find the tiny Tamiya spray cans of pearl, intended for radio control cars/planes etc. I'll have to keep looking. I think pretty soon I'll have to strip it down, and it'll be tough, cause I really love the colour. I reckon painting the neck will be the hardest part, because of all the binding and stuff.

I'll keep you guys posted, but it will take some time...I already have three refins on the go...!!

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                        Thing is, I am trying to work out HTF it would work. Lots of the wires go to the jack, but one is just flopping loose into the cavity, running from the circuit board. No idea where it goes.
                        That would be the antennae.
                        Look at a 101 body pack and you'll see what I mean.
                        -Rick

Comment

Aha! Thst wouuld make sense... Now I have it here, I can see better. The unfinished neck feels beautiful, really "fast". But man, I feel compelled to paint it...ARGH!

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                            Aha! Thst wouuld make sense... Now I have it here, I can see better. The unfinished neck feels beautiful, really "fast". But man, I feel compelled to paint it...ARGH!
                            Don't paint it! I love the unfinished neck on mine. It takes alot of time too get right and you have to wash your hands everytime before you play it but, it feels so awesome. I did mine with 320, 600, then 1500 grit...like butter I say.

ps. Rjohnstone...that model 5 looks killer
                            www.JerryRobison.com
                            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I say, if you can spend the time and effort on it, strip the whole thing down and refinish it - pearl white would be very cool - my model 4 is pearl white and its a sharp looker. I'd leave the neck unfinished - mask it off and then oil it up - presto, instant custom shop.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X