Model 6 specifications???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 specifications???

Model 6 specifications??? neck dimensions / thickness - radius etc???

thanx

Maple neckthrough with poplar wings
    25.5" scale
    1 11/16" nut width
    12" - 16" compound radius fretboard

Neck thickness varied a bit, with quite a few people saying the '86 Model 6 had thinner necks than the '87 or '88. My '87 Model 6 measures .760" at the 3rd fret and .875" at the 12th. Just slightly thicker at the 12th than new Soloist spec (.850").

Comment

Didn't know the M6 was compound radius...and I own one!!
      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Maple neckthrough with poplar wings
        25.5" scale
        1 11/16" nut width
        12" - 16" compound radius fretboard

Neck thickness varied a bit, with quite a few people saying the '86 Model 6 had thinner necks than the '87 or '88. My '87 Model 6 measures .760" at the 3rd fret and .875" at the 12th. Just slightly thicker at the 12th than new Soloist spec (.850").

12" - 16" compound radius fretboard? like a jackson usa sl1 or not ????/

Comment

Yes. Model 6 and the SL1 both have the same 12"-16" radius. Pretty much the same guitar. Aside from cosmetic features (ebony vs rosewood), the only real structural difference is recessed trem (SL1) vs top-mounted trem (Model 6).
          My gear
          87 Charvel Model 6
          86 Charvel Model 4
          93 Jackson RR EX
          93 Jackson Kelly STD
          88 Ibanez RG560
          99 Schecter Diamond C-7
          Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

New to the Forum

Originally posted by Glave View Post
            Yes. Model 6 and the SL1 both have the same 12"-16" radius. Pretty much the same guitar. Aside from cosmetic features (ebony vs rosewood), the only real structural difference is recessed trem (SL1) vs top-mounted trem (Model 6).
            I have a 1986 Model 6 Charvel I bought brand new and love the neck. I also have a 2016 Jackson USA Soloist 1. I have measured both necks and they are different. The model 6 neck is not as wide as the Jackson neck. According to my neck radius tools the model 6 radius is 10" the Jackson is, as they claim, a compound 12"-16" neck. I am still trying to check out the whether or not the Model 6 is a compound neck. What I have measured so far is it looks like its 10" to 14" compound neck but I am still trying to verify this.

Comment

I'm no luthier, but I thought I'd read somewhere that fretboard radius can "flatten out" over time (and probably from fret wear). So maybe the 12-16 has worn down to 10-14? Can the experts chime in?

Oh yeah, what color is your 6 and are you selling it?
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Going from 12-16 to 10-14 is actually ROUNDING out. Going to smaller numbers means a smaller radius and thus more curve to the playing surface. Larger numbers means a larger radius and thus a flatter playing surface.

Comment

My model 6 neck is pretty thin, but so works nice. One of the most comfortable necks I have ever felt.

Comment

Working...
                  X