Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring help needed: EMG 81 together with JE-1200. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help needed: EMG 81 together with JE-1200. Is it possible?

Hi there

I´ve got a Charvel model 6. Is it possible to swap the bridge stock-pickup with an EMG 81 and still keep the JE-1200 system?

If any of you have experience with this kind of surgery, i would really appreciate a wiring diagram. The electronics are intact and unmodified, so I will only need to know how the EMG has to be connected.

Thanks in advance

It might be possible, but it might also sound terrible.

The JE-1200 is designed for (relative) low output passive humbuckers.

You would be taking the high output from the EMG81 and putting it into the input of the JE-1200, possibly overdriving it. It might sound good, or it might sound like an overdriven trasistor amp.

You will also have two circuits draining the battery.

Personally, I'd just leave the Model 6 alone and use the EMG for something else.

Comment

Actually, it won't sound terrible. I've done it many times. Since the wiring is already present, you can even run the EMG's battery right into the Jackson circuit. Carefully locate where the battery connection is on the circuit board, and run a jumper off of it to the EMG's battery. Then wire the EMG's hot output to the switch and ground the ground. No problem, it's now in the circuit. I did this on a Soloist with great results. The additional drain on the battery is extremely minimal by the way.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I followed your instructions and it worked PERFECT

the cavity is just one big mess when you look down there, but the installation was actually pretty easy.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, how does it sound? Post clips!
          http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Yes, it does work. I have the same setup in my Model 6. That said, switching between the EMG 81 and the stock single coils can be problematic. The volume level difference is pretty severe. And I agree with Charvel750, the extra battery drain is minimal. If you just use the EMG 81, you might have to dial down the gain on your amp a touch.
            My gear
            87 Charvel Model 6
            86 Charvel Model 4
            93 Jackson RR EX
            93 Jackson Kelly STD
            88 Ibanez RG560
            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Working...
            X