Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts source? Bad volume pot on a Model 4

Hey guys

I'm working on a friends Model 4 (I think it's a Model 4, it's the same as a Model 6 but with a bolt on neck) and the volume pot is doing something I've never heard before. When I turn the volume knob the guitars output makes a whooshing sound, almost like flanging. After turning it several times it got harder to turn and is now almost completely frozen. When the knob isn't being turned though the sound is fine.

Has anyone seen (heard) of this problem before? Any suggestions? If the pot definately needs replacement can anyone tell me the specs and suggest a source?

Thanks a bunch!

Oh yeah, in anyone's interested - This guitar has seen some serious playing time. I had to level and crown the frets and even though it's the first level and crown on this guitar, it's also the last. Man did it take a while! I also had to completely strip the Kahler, clean ond oil everything and replace a couple broken parts. It's kind of unique in that the body has been stripped and clear coated (looks very good) and the icing on the cake is Buddy Guy's signature on the bass side upper bout. It's playing like a dream now but I'd really like to get the volume pot working before I give it back. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Eyeball; 05-06-2008, 03:53 AM.

Trying spraying some electronic cleaner in there. The volume pot has the midboost board attached and they don't make replacements for it. they do show up on ebay but it will cost you. The singles sound like shit without the booster.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rich. Do you (or anyone else) think this problem sounds like just the pot or could it be in the mid-boost? I've never heard this whooshing thing before from a pot.

I haven't had the electronics out of a Charvel in years. Is it at all possible to replace just the pot? With some clever de-soldering perhaps? Anyone know how many ohms that pot is?

Comment

50K audio taper. A couple of guys here have successfully replaced them.

Comment

Thanks DG.

Comment

And you will get good results using a 25K ohm (standard EMG issue) pot with the circuit. I have replaced the Jackson 50K ohm pots with these and could not discern the difference...
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
            X