ROFL - Model 6 for $999

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROFL - Model 6 for $999

the dopes at the Covina GC have a pink (dusty rose?) Model 6 with no locking nuts on it, listed at $999. it will be there at this time next year with a few more mm's of dust on it, I'm sure.

just too F'g funny. they never learn.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Originally posted by Luke Skywalker
    He says it's the best he can do. Since the XP-38 came out, they're just not in demand.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Do the kids at GC check ebay like my bud Dave does at my local pawnshop? Or is there just crazy money there in LA.:ROTF:
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

That about the price here in NZ
        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

We ( GC employees) are supposed to check ebay when doing a buy or a trade. Altho there are still those who feel they know everything and don;t do what they're supposed to.
          Gil

Comment

yeah I certainly don't mean it as a knock on your avg GC employee, you guys have it hard enough as it is.

it's more the machine than anything that I have to laugh at.

Comment

I have to add, I would never buy a guitar at GC, mainly because of the inflated pricing. again, I know that's not the employees on the floor, it's a corporate strategy to take advantage of the unknowing. I'm just not that market.

Comment

Infated price? Where do you get that? Every business is in business to mke money. GC sells the same gear as the next guy for the same price if not lower. There's also the price matching guarentee. Which includes internet dealers. Including MF which we own. There's this thing called MAP. (manufacturers advertised pricing) which tells us the cap for pricing. Most of the items especailly on the guitar are industry std pricing at 25-35% off list depending on manufacturer. So i don;t get what you mean by inflated pricing. Wheres the proof of inflated prices over the next dealer of the exact same thing?
                Gil

Comment

What is GC?

Comment

Guitar Center - large music store chain
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                      I have to add, I would never buy a guitar at GC, mainly because of the inflated pricing. again, I know that's not the employees on the floor, it's a corporate strategy to take advantage of the unknowing. I'm just not that market.
                      I agree. They are a publicly traded company out there trying to impress stockholders.

Comment

Guess I've been lucky, I've gotten some GREAT deals on used stuff at my local GC. Got an Ibanez RGA121 in mint condition for $450 out the door with case!

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
                          Guess I've been lucky, I've gotten some GREAT deals on used stuff at my local GC. Got an Ibanez RGA121 in mint condition for $450 out the door with case!
                          If I were you, I'd be saying "Ibeenhad"

Comment

Guitar Center is no longer public. Bane Investment Group bought us. So we're private. And i still havn't seen a reply to the inflated pricing comment yet. GC is just every other music store out there. Just a lot bigger. Which gives us the buying power to pass on the pricing breaks to the customers. Beleive it or not we do have a staff that actually shop other music instrument retailers and gets pricing. And we are at least the same if not lower than 99% of them. So again I ask wheres the evidance of inflated pricing? Skorb what basis of facts do you have to support this? Just curious.
                            Gil

Comment

I'll be honest Gil, I'm sure other stores can stand to learn a thing or two from your store. The GC on Halsted has some of the dumbest individuals working there. Interestingly enough, I've applied there several times and I have never once received a phone call from them. (maybe I should take the hint that even the dumb kids don't want to hang with me )

However, as an example to the individual stupidity at the Halsted St. store, I went in a few months ago and saw a USA Jackson Tele. I didn't have the cash at the time to buy it. So I kept it in the back of my mind. I returned a month or so later to possibly buy it. I asked one of the reps at the guitar counter about it. I wanted to see if it had been sold, or shipped to another store. (side story, but there is a Kramer Pacer that I first saw at the Arlington Heights store, when it shipped to Chicago they raised the price and insisted that they had just acquired it) The rep went over to the area where I was standing (and he had even passed me a few times and asked me if he could help me) and continued to look where I did for the tele.

Then he went to his computer. He said that he had one in black with white pinstripes. Graphic sound familiar?? Well, that's one of the standard graphics for a JJ model. So I went over to the JJ model, held it up and said, "Is this what you're talking about?" When he replied, "Yeah, that's it." I wanted to just call him a flipping idiot and walk out.

Now, I'm not expecting the guy to know every Jackson/Charvel model. Hell, I've got several of them and I still have a hard time trying to identify one every so often. But if the guy can't tell that the JJ body isn't a Tele, then there's something rotten in Denmark. (no offense to the Danish JCF members, it's just a phrase)

I have several other anecdotes like this. And it's not just the Halsted St. location that hires these people who have no clue what they're doing, but my experiences so far make Guitar Center one of my last resorts in regards to buying gear.

I know you take a lot of pride in your job. And that's great, however you're more the exception than the rule at GC. I wish they could clone you man. I really do. But instead of your DNA, they reach for Fred Durst's.
                              Last edited by Tekky; 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X