Fret Stains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Stains?

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I tried with cleaner and polish but. . . .

#0000 steel wool from your hardware store. Use the blue non-tacky masking tape to cover the fingerboard on either side of a fret, then rub the fret with the steel wool, should shine up quickly. Remove tape, then do the same on next fret, etc.

If you find the #0000 isn't cutting thru the 'stain', you could try first using a coarser steel wool, #0 or #00 first, then finish up with the #0000.

Comment

OOOO Steel wool. Just mask off the wood and polish it right up. Damn it. You beat me.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: What you will be doing is taking off the clearcoat.
      Last edited by fett; 10-20-2007, 05:13 PM.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

thanx guys don't know why I didn't think of that!!

Comment

Man, those frets are tarnished! They look hardly used though. I use Brasso, rubbed on with terry cloth, then an old T-shirt and lots of elbow grease will get a mirror shine on them.

I usually hit the board with oil before and after this.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah this guitar is is near mint condition, no fret wear just the tarnish. plays so sweet! The pickup volume as I have said before is really week in the bridge position though, probably the cheap stacked single coil. I took the electronics cover off and all the wires are connected well there but I haven't taken the pickups out yet though. . . .

Comment

Yeah, the 2 sc's at the bridge are VERY weak in those. A hotrails should be a direct fit, or if you want to do some shaving, you can fit a full sized hum in there too.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel3sc View Post
                Yeah this guitar is is near mint condition, no fret wear just the tarnish. plays so sweet!
                If you think it plays great now, it'll be incredible after polishing the frets! With my original Model 2, sometimes months go by when I haven't played it without changing strings and both the strings and frets become tarnished. One time I just pulled off the whole Floyd, polished the frets w brasso, and put the same strings on (didn't have a new set at the time), and the difference was amazing...smooth bends, etc.!
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

How did that happen anyway? Was the guitar stuck in the ground and used as a lawn ornament?!?

Comment

Bought it at a pawnshop it had been sitting there for years, the guy was happy to get rid of it! Sitting right next to it was, and still is hanging on their wall, a Kramer Starfighter with original case mint condition also. I assume that the tarnish was just from not being cleaned forever. The strings were so old and brittle that when I strummed a note the high e just kind of disintegrated. . . . I got her all cleaned and shiny now. . .

Last edited by Charvel3sc; 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Dang, nice job on that!

Comment

Lookin good!!
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

When I get one in thats tarnished like that I just take 0000 steel wool and not tape off the fretboard and just go to town.The steel wool cleans the fretboard too just go with the grain of the wood.It won't scratch the rosewood at all and it gets most of the funk off between the frets.I do it this way with ebony boards too and it cleans it right up.Be sure to get all the wool dust off before oiling the fretboard.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X