Some interesting 750XL info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting 750XL info...

Ok so most remember I got that 750XL on eBay that had no hardware. Well shes together now... but we got to talking over in efraid about the woods in the solid colored 750's, and the origonal owner saying it never sounded very good. I just found the pic I took before putting the whole guitar together.

The neck pickup cavity had some wood removed, so I went and cleaned it up and this is what I found. Note the darker wood on the TOP. Obvously the TOP is Mahogony... cant really tell what the body wood is... not much grain, light in color.

Sound wise, its a pretty muddy guitar. Ive gone through two J80's in it, the second one being better than the first, but its still not quite how Id like it to sound. The bridge pickup almost sounds like a neck pickup on most other guitars but a little brighter.

Interesting eh? Its time for some EMG's.
    Last edited by RobRR; 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Very interesting. Are there any traces of the neck tenon in there? It would be interesting to see how far in it goes, and how deeply.

I've been pretty sure mine has a maple top, because it used to have several dings going down to the wood, and they revealed light colored wood. Didn't look like mahogany at all. But one of these days I'll have to sand the finish down on a spot in the control cavity to make sure.

Comment

I just couldn't get good tone with that one, and I did try EMG's, Dimarzios, Duncans, Jacksons, and Lawrence pickups. Not saying you won't be able to find the right match, but to me I couldn't. I really sold it due to the fact that I prefer the flamed top examples, but that is still a great guitar, no doubt about it...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        I just couldn't get good tone with that one, and I did try EMG's, Dimarzios, Duncans, Jacksons, and Lawrence pickups. Not saying you won't be able to find the right match, but to me I couldn't. I really sold it due to the fact that I prefer the flamed top examples, but that is still a great guitar, no doubt about it...
        I never asked ya in the other thread, did you find it muddy and overly fat too? Just wanna make sure Im not going nuts here.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
        X