Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

I recently bought a Charvel model 6 in the firecrackle color. This thing is in really nice shape but has had a couple of mods done over the years. Luckily I'm the second owner and the first one took great care of it. The only part it was missing was the truss rod cover. It has the Kahler locking nut but there's three holes for the truss rod cover. From what I understand it should have had the "arrow" shaped cover with one hole. I'm wondering if the locking nut was added later or it came with one and still had the truss rod cover using three holes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lambo

If it's firecrackle, it's most likely from late '88. From what I understand, some of the later ones had a locking nut from the factory, and a few of the guys here have them. It's pretty easy to tell if the locknut is added, because they would've had to build a wedge-shaped shelf for the nut if it was a replacement for the usual standard nut + behind-the-nut lock. If you need a replacement truss rod cover, Dave is your guy:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com

Comment

All mod 6 had a locking unit behind the nut.

Comment

Sanctuary has a firecrackle Model 6 that also has a Kahler locknut on it, not the behind-the-nut lock. Here's a thread with some discussion about the nut (scroll down a ways) and how some of the later Model Series had them. Unfortunately his pics aren't working.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38170

Comment

Yep, I do. It's a late '88 Rainbow crackle in mint condition. If you want pics, I can provide them
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Thanks for the info. There's a metal wedge under the locking nut so I'd assume the locking nut has been added? It looks good and hopefully done right. From what I know it came with all black hardward but the last owner put a chrome floyd on and it looks nice. It's now got the five way switch on it as well. It's got a old DiM super distortion in the bridge (dipped in wax, you don't see that much anymore?) A Sey/Dun in the neck position and a jackson with pole's in the middle. So none of the pickups are original but it looks like what they were replaced with should scream. The body doesn't hardley have a scratch on it a no rash or scratches on the back. It's only got two trem springs so I guess I'll need to pick up another one to have some 10's on it. I graduated in 1984 and wanted a metal guitar from that era and this thing fills the ticket nicely. I orderd a truss cover from Dave and he said if the holes didn't line up to mark them and send it back and he'd make me one that fits. Nice guy. Anhoo, thanks again for the info, take care and have a blessed day.

Lambo

Comment

Working...
            X