Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics noise on Charvel Model 4

Hi,
    So I just got this model 4, my first Charvel, and Im really enjoying it. My question is, on this guitar, the humbucker is far noisier than the single coils. Im assuming this is just a result of age and the cavity could just use some cleaning up, but I want to be sure.
    Is this a known problem at all with these electronics? Other than the noise the humbucker is great (although Im finding the neck single coil with the mid boost on is my favourite), so Id rather not replace it.
    Anyone else had this problem?

What do you mean by 'noise' ?? It probably is the electronics...
    If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Provided the pickups are all original, those "singlecoils" are really stacked humbuckers, and they are really low output too. So they probably have a lower noise level inherently.

Comment

noise as in hum and interference. The humbucker picks up much more than the singles, which is the reverse of what youd expect. Im thinking its probably just a poor connection on the humbucker, but I want to be sure, because if its a known problem with this electronics set up then Ill have to make some chnages, which Id prefer not to.

Comment

check to make sure the colume pot is not pulling away from the midboost board. I had a bad hum on a model 6that I bought last year and that was the problem. If not the connects are old, I would cut off an inch of wire and resolder the humbucker.

Comment

It's not normal, my Model 4 is fine regarding noise/pickup, in fact far quieter than other guitars I've owned.

Having said that, I have had problems with dry joints/poor connections over the years, so it's worth giving the elctronics/wiring a check over.

It's worth it - the Model 4 is a great guitar (mine's just coming up for it's 20th Birthday)

Comment

I had the same problem, but when I changed the original humbucker for a Seymour Duncan, the problem was gone. So is is well possible that it was a bad connection.

Comment

I've experienced some noise in two different M4's that sounded the same in both guitars. I'm not saying yours doesn't have an issue, but it could also be somewhat "normal".

Comment

Clean the electronics ie the pots with some electronics cleaner.Check all solder joints.A hum indicates a bad ground.May be the jack too.The singles are stacked and you will have no hum,the humbucker is a J-80 which is much hotter than the singles so its normal to get a little noise.
                  I should be very quiet if all is normal the mid boost when cranked you will hear some noise.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X