New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

I havent played a guitar in over 10 years so for fathers day I hit up ebay and bought myself a model 2. I have always wanted a Charvel and thought it was about time I got one. Warren DeMartini is the inspiration for wanting one all these years.
    I paid about $170 for this model 2 and I think I paid a little much for it as it needs more work than I thought. I planned on stripping it and repainting it. This is my only guitar I dont want to take it apart now because I am having too much fun playing it.

After checking around the site I am guessing this to be an 86 with an EMG 81 and an added tone pot. Has some rust on the Kahler. Some buzz on open strings because the fretboard is starting to separate from the neck. Fretboard needs to be cleaned up.

I told the guy I bought it from that I was going to repaint it and he threw in a Hamer Diablo body. I was going to try and switch everything over to that so I would have something to play but I dont know if the neck will fit and its set up for a floyd.
    Thats about it for now, other than does anyone kow where you can get a Charvel T-shirt. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Welcome aboard, nice intro.
    I have model 88, pix are all over this site (search)
    I like the tobacco burst myself, not sure how it would work your
    model 2. Fingerboard separation...that's new to me. Someone else
    is sure to have better info.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I did find a fix for the separation on the site. Syringe filled with epoxy or glue, cant remember which right now, injected into the separation and clamp it together.
      I have seen pics of your 88. Great looking guitar. Growing up in the 80's I will end up doing some sort of graphic. Big fan of the WW2 bomber looking stuff. I have an artist in mind who does skateboard graphics, my other passion, who said he could do it, although we havent talked price yet.

Comment

howdy!

Comment

Originally posted by SkateRags View Post
          Thanks for the welcome. I did find a fix for the separation on the site. Syringe filled with epoxy or glue, cant remember which right now, injected into the separation and clamp it together.
          I have seen pics of your 88. Great looking guitar. Growing up in the 80's I will end up doing some sort of graphic. Big fan of the WW2 bomber looking stuff. I have an artist in mind who does skateboard graphics, my other passion, who said he could do it, although we havent talked price yet.
          As someone who has a little experience in repair, I would not recommend anything other than Titebond II to fix that seperation. If it were on my bench, I would look to make absolutley sure no foriegn objects got in that crack. You don't want to glue in anything that doesn't belong there. The Titebond will hold it well enough, yet if you have to go back into it, can be broken down with a bit of steam.

Comment

Single hummers rock! Welcome to the site!

Comment

Thanks Cygnus I will look into the titebond II
              @ZZB Thanks

Comment

hey! welcome to the jcf
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

watch out...I quit playing for over 10 years and when my son wanted to learn a few years back, I picked it up again.

Now I have more guitars and amps then I ever imagined I would...LOL.

Something about having more money now I suppose.

Comment

If you hang around this forum much, you will have many more guitars to come!
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome to the JCF. I love single-humbucker setups. You have a great plan for making this your main axe, but you really need to get a backup slinger to keep you in the action and not rush the rebuild. Comb the pawn shops, Ebay and Craigs List looking for good local deals on Jackson/Charvels.

Comment

Working...
                      X