No announcement yet.

One of the first 5A's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Schaller is an upgrade over the JT-6.I like the JT-6 just fine and never had a problem as far as tuning stability.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I don't know guys - but I think that Shobet's guit probably an 86 and if so, would be a very uncommon guitar. I had an 86 Model 6 with a JT-6 (the one that Rich#6 mentioned). Here's a pick of the guitar and the serial number. The stickers match in font and numerically are very close to each other. If it doesn't have a serial number engraved in the board right above the neck pup (as any 88 model series neck-thru would have), my money's on it being an 86. Hey, if they could put a JT-6 in during 86, why not a JT-6 and a single pup? Also, the auction that was mentioned that showed a different font for the serial number was a repaint. The one on Shobet's guitar looks correct -

Last edited by dpivar; 08-06-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

My bad for bad manners - posted a reply off-topic to the thread.. That SL1 is gorgeous - and what a price! I need to find some pawnshops myself to go check out. Don't blame ya for gravitating to the Model 5 though. Something about Model series neck-thru's

Comment

yeah, I never really spent much time in pawn shops, I just happened to go in on my way to look at a Model 2 at another store. I will check in with them from time to time now. It was just right time right place. And the shocker it that it was me that found it - I normally have the worst luck.

Comment

The last model 6 I got for $200.00 and it was mint as was the case.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by dpivar View Post
              I don't know guys - but I think that Shobet's guit probably an 86 and if so, would be a very uncommon guitar. I had an 86 Model 6 with a JT-6 (the one that Rich#6 mentioned). Here's a pick of the guitar and the serial number. The stickers match in font and numerically are very close to each other. If it doesn't have a serial number engraved in the board right above the neck pup (as any 88 model series neck-thru would have), my money's on it being an 86. Hey, if they could put a JT-6 in during 86, why not a JT-6 and a single pup? Also, the auction that was mentioned that showed a different font for the serial number was a repaint. The one on Shobet's guitar looks correct -

Interesting! Yours is in much better condition than mine is. We need to find some friendly Japanese person who works/worked at the factory at that time. Is it a possibility that there were European versions of the Model series before they were released in the US?

Mine's off to the shop today to see if the frets can be levelled or if she needs new ones. I took a look at the advice in the technical section here and decided it was probably for the best that I let someone who doesn't have 10 thumbs do it.
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Brash9567 View Post
                yeah, I never really spent much time in pawn shops, I just happened to go in on my way to look at a Model 2 at another store. I will check in with them from time to time now. It was just right time right place. And the shocker it that it was me that found it - I normally have the worst luck.
                Any chance you can post a pic of the S/N of your guitar so we can see the type of script that's used on that?

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

mine is stamped......C800046

Comment

why is that picture so damn big, should I change the resolution of them or something?

Comment

At least I can see that one!
                      What rez. are you putting the pics up at?

Comment

5a

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                        Nope it's definitely 6, benefiting from almost perfect vision and having learned to read at a young age I know the difference. It's not a sticker as it's in the clearcoat.

There is only one humbucker, a lic. floyd and it's a neck through (she's in bits at the moment as I'm giving her a good seeing to). So as far as I understand that would make her a 5A or am I mistaken?

Now what do you make of that? I've owned her since 89 I think, I have the receipt from Picton Music in Swansea (no longer there before you look it up) somewhere in the house.

So either the serial number is wrong, or they made them in 86. Or I have a timewarping 5A. I doubt anyone would be faking Japanese guitars in 89...

I wonder how much I'd get for a guitar that can move through time on ebay?

But all this has lead me to christen her 'Dr. Who', it only took the best part of 20 years to name her so hoofuckingrah!
                        that was my first 5a! I part ex'd it for a white model 6 when i was working in picton music!'I can shed some light on it,I got it straight off the JHS Rep(mike Carvallo)it was going to be his demo guitar,we were his first visit of the day and i would'nt let him take it away so he sold it to me! i only used it a couple of times with a band called Paris then put it in the shop.I must have sold it to you!
                        Keith
                        Last edited by keitho; 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

FUCKING HELL, what're the chances of that!
                          Well she's still going strong and looking a bit better these days than in those pics, I really need to clean the board where the tape was...

Do you remember which year you bought her?

Comment

5a

yeh,i bought it in 88,rumour has it that they used a load of blank model five's they had laying around.Whats your name?i'm trying to remember you.
                            Keith

Comment

Nevermind.
                              Last edited by fett; 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Just to add to the collection here.
                                Here's my 88 5A serial.

Just got her all put back together last night. Still deciding on what lock nut to install.

-Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X