Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close are the '02 necks to the old model series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close are the '02 necks to the old model series?

I was reading the original charvel release from NAMM '02 when they announced the standard/journeyman/A models;

"We used the original neck jigs to make these necks have the feel of the originals. These necks feel like they could be 20 years old, "

Anyone think this is true? They didn't really say what these necks are supposed too resemble (ie, san dimas profile, model series, etc).
    My guess is model series?

they are a little thicker at the nut then the model series that I have had. the model A's are great guitars. Real quilt tops and ebony boards. The traditional I had was pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      they are a little thicker at the nut then the model series that I have had. the model A's are great guitars. Real quilt tops and ebony boards. The traditional I had was pretty good too.

Thanks. I just need a model A now to have one of each of the '02 charvels. Now I just have to figure out how the neck profiles compare to a san dimas with a v'trem and the san dimas 2 1995 strat head that looks like the '02 standard.

Neck thickness really bothers my fretting hand these days so I don't want to invest in something I'm going to have to turn around and sell as soon as I get it.

Comment

IIRC, the old J/C marketing guy at the time claimed that they based the necks on an original SD neck. Not the old model series.

The couple that I've played didn't feel anything like a SD, though, so IMHO that's utter bullshit. ...But, then again, that would be consistent with where things later went with KE, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          IIRC, the old J/C marketing guy at the time claimed that they based the necks on an original SD neck. Not the old model series.

The couple that I've played didn't feel anything like a SD, though, so IMHO that's utter bullshit. ...But, then again, that would be consistent with where things later went with KE, anyway.

I guess a strat head with a charvel logo is what they meant by "based on". :ROTF:

Still I'm curious about the san dimas 2 1995 strat head standard model. I did a search and people say they don't feel anything like an original san dimas either.

http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Ch1...SanDimas07.htm

Comment

Model A

I had a model A, it had Live Wire pickups in it. I dunno, those pickups sucked so I can't really speak to the tone of the guitar. I sold it. I actually was not very impressed. Then again, I'm really partial to 80's and early 90's guitars. Styling was weird. It had the good parts, the real flame maple top, ebony board, but it had the Fender style headstock. It didn't know who it was!

For the same price you can get a Model 3, 4 or if you're lucky like me a 650 custom!!!

Comment

I have played a 95 and a new san dimas. I have owned a 2002 Model A and a traditional and a 86/87 model 4 and 2 86 6's.
              The Model series and the original and new san dimas' are the closest neck profiles. The 95 was VERY strat like to me. I have not played one, but I think the 2002 series are closer to a Phil collen signature model neck size then anything with the thicker neck profile. They stopped making the PC3, started making these, and they have some of the same features.

In playability
              The new san dimas was unreal
              the 2002 model A was the best player that I have owned. ( I sold it because the pups sucked and I needed cash)
              The 6's
              the model 4
              the 2002 traditional
              last was the 95 thought it was set up for shit.
              Last edited by Rich#6; 06-24-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X