Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do the import Charvels feel compared to an Ibanez RG or old Kramer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do the import Charvels feel compared to an Ibanez RG or old Kramer?

Hey guys. This is a great site, and I'm really diggin' all the info and great pics of your vintage axes! Especially the Charvels! Now I have a question for you that I couldn't seem to answer by searching.

I've currently got an Ibanez RG1570 as my main axe that is a super sweet guitar, but I've really had an itchin' for a vintage guitar, specifically a Charvel import without a pickguard. I remember these guitars as a kid and would have killed for one...I'm glad to see they're still around.

I guess I have expensive taste because I really seem to like the Model 5s and 6s I'm partial to 24 frets and >1 pup, and sharkies really rock.

I've never gotten to touch a Charvel so I'm not sure how they'd feel. I know many of you have owned RGs and Kramers, so can you give me your opinion on how these feel compared to an RG or a Kramer Focus, Pacer, etc? FYI, my RG is a Prestige so it has a super thin Wizard Prestige neck...it's about 1 mm thicker than the original 80s RG necks...just to give you an idea of what I'm used to playing on.

BTW, I've heard that the Charvel import necks are very thin (esp compared to Kramers) so that's a plus to me

Also, it seems like these are getting pretty expensive. I know they're worth what people are willing to pay, but in your opinions is $500+ for a nice Model 5 crazy or are these guitars that good and worth it? If they quality is up there, I'd be willing to pay it...you don't get much these days for $500 when you look at new guitars anyways.

This Red Model 5 that didn't sell would be my grail, BTW.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-Jackson-...QQcmdZViewItem

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks guys,

Sean

If you're looking for a neck-thru with a thin neck, I think the 1986 models (with Kahler bridges) is what you should be looking for. A few people have testified that later models (1987+) got a little thicker necks.

I personally prefer the thicker ones.

Comment

I used to own an Ibanez S520, Wizard II neck. I absolutely loved that guitar because of how thin the neck was and easy it was to use. I sold it and got a Charvel DR2/375, the neck on it is noticeably thicker, but not bad at all. I love how this guitar plays, but I definitely will be getting another Ibanez in the future.
      Gear:
      none

Comment

I recently played a new S-model Ibanez. Don't know exactly what the neck was called - I think it was Wizard 2. The thing is, I thought it was remarkably close thickness-wise to my neck-through Charvels, except for the profile. The Ibby had a "flatter", D-shaped profile, while the Charvels have more of a C-shape.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, Wizard IIs are thin also...among the thinnest on the market today according to many. The order from thinnest to thickest goes Orig. Wizard, Wizard Prestige, Wizard II. There have been a few other Wizard levels out there, I think, but these are the common ones.

My RG actually has a flattened area on the back...like it's been planed down...after getting used to the crampy thumb muscle, I've actually gotten spoiled using it. When I pick up my other Ibanez with a more traditional profile (although thin) it takes a little getting used to.

Comment

CX390/391s also had Wizard-like necks. I have both an RG5EX1 and a CX series Charvel, and they both are pretty similar it terms of neck thickness.

Comment

The Charvels are much better built along the whole range than the Kramers or Ibanezes from that period. The exceptions being the Kramer Nightswan(alder body, warmoth manufactured neck, duncans). The Charvel 6 & 7 series smoke
              the equivalent Ibanez or Kramer guitars. I find the Ibanezes very weak till you get to the prestige line or the Jems. I currently own a 1989 Charvel 750xl,an Ibanez gr520 Ghostrider, some G & L's. Have previously owned Jackson soloist,early 1980s american B.C. Riches(two neck thru Mockingbirds),1972 Les Paul Standard,Paul Reed Smiths. I'm constantly looking for Charvel 7 series. Once you get past the poor tremolo systems(JT-590..etc)..They rock.

Comment

I agree with sunbane. go with the 86 neck thrus. I have 2 86 model 6s and a RG320 and the necks are similar.

Comment

Interms of Cheaper Neck throughs (interms of Price, not neccessarily quality), I'd say look for a Model 5 or 6.

But if you are looking for bolt on, all 3 Manufacturers put out good stuff. I.E.

Charvel/Jackson: Well This IS a Jackson/Charvel Forum, so obviously you are gonna get people saying they are good, and they are right.

Kramer: to correct "newyearkid" the Nightswan (Vivian Campbell sig. Model) was made of Mohagany.
                  Kramer's American series (maufactured in Japan by ESP, Assembled in Neptune, NJ) Neck sizes varied whether that be nut width or thickness. I personally just bought a Pacer Custom in Flourescent Pink that has an R-5 neck, Kramer's are great guitars that can be found for cheap if you are patient and know what to look for.

Ibanez: Any of the Old RG's are great for the Cash (550, 560,570, 770, ETC.)

I would also have to argue that Kramers/Ibanez guitars dont have lesser build quality, with ever company there will be hit and miss products, or you just played something you couldnt get a feel for
                  Out Of Ideas

Comment

Thanks...I'm actually not after a neck-through per se...just 24 frets, really. Bolt-on is fine for me.

Yeah, I knew that I'd get that Charvels/Jacksons were better, but I just wanted to get an idea of why, since I've never gotten to get my hands on one.

I appreciate the input.

Comment

24 Frets opens Possibilities from all Brands, Neck Through and otherwise, Good Luck! lol, I could never pick
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

I know you are talking of Charvel, but wanted to mention the 1993 Jackson Dinky Reverses had some of the thinnest Jackson/Charvel necks I've run across:
                        http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...1993Page25.htm

Comment

Oh Yeah, I dunno How the Hell I for got about the Professional Series!?
                          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Also look for Fusions, both Jackson & Charvel. They have 24 frets and tend to have some of the thinnest J/C necks, especially the USA Jackson Fusions. They also have a 24 3/4" scale length. Check out the catalog scans from '89 through the early '90s for them.

http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm

Comment

As far as necks go the 89 Kramer American Baretta's neck was pretty comfy. However I still think the neck on my model 4 was a little better, it is just the perfect thickness. A far as the rest of the guitar goes though, the Kramer wins out. This is coming from someone who is short and has tiny hand so it may not apply to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X