Difference between J100 and J100S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between J100 and J100S

Is there any difference between the J100 and J100S single coils? According to what I've read, my Model 7 (Tele-style) has a J100S at the neck. I've noticed that J100S also used in some of the Charvel Strat-style guitars, including the Model 1C and Model 3. Is that technically a Strat pickup? I'm looking to replace the pickups. Should I be looking for a Strat neck replacement or a Tele? Is there a size difference or something?

Thread resurrection!

I'm trying to search for this same info to no avail. I need a J100, but this seller informs me he has a J100S. Is that a stacked single coil? He claims it was from a Model 1. I understand these were in the 3DR. My strat has kind of shallow pickup routes, and the double stacked J200 is just a bit too tall. The J100 fits nicely. Anyone know anything about the J100S? These single coils are driving me batty.

Comment

Should be the same thing. The J100 was a vintage-style single (exposed poles), so I'm assuming the only difference between the J100 and J100S is the S might have a triangular bottom like a Fender pickup, whereas the J100 would be round like the J200.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hmm, in the auction pic it looks to be round. I guess some have Jackson logos and some don't?

!Bw9uHtgCWk~$(KGrHqMOKjEEwWTsZpE0BMLV9wcN0Q~~_12.JPG

Comment

Well I hit the BIN. We'll see how it goes. Jeez it hope it's not super tall and/or double stacked...

Comment

Damn Axe, I wish I'd seen your thread earlier. If that pup is no go, I can send you one, just give me a 5 spot to cover shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
              Damn Axe, I wish I'd seen your thread earlier. If that pup is no go, I can send you one, just give me a 5 spot to cover shipping.
              Good to know, thanks! I'll PM you if this "J100S" deals shits the bed...

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Hmm, in the auction pic it looks to be round. I guess some have Jackson logos and some don't?
                I don't think the singles with the exposed pole pieces had logo..at least not the original Model series. The single in the3DR which I since sold didn't have a logo. Of course the J-200's did, but they only seem to work well with some type of Jackson preamp...they're too quiet on their own.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It is official. The J100 and the J100S are the same thing. I've seen them with and without logos.

Comment

The model 1A I had was an 86 and it had J100's with the Jackson logo's
                    I love the J100 pick ups much better than reg strat pick ups.
                    Still have the twang but have some grunt.
                    Those were made by Abigail Yabara IIRC(Fender custom shop now)She wound pick ups for Fender in the 60's.
                    People knock stock Jackson pick ups but I love em'.
                    Last edited by straycat; 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah I love these pups, too. The one I put in the middle position of the GID spidey strat really woke it up. It has a kind of gravel in the tone that I like. The combo modes have some nice clucky spankiness to them.

Comment

Yeah. I have the following Strat style guitars:

'94 MIA '57 RI
                        '77 MIJ Kimbara '69 Strat copy
                        '96 G&L Legacy
                        '96 G&L Fullerton
                        '98 G&L Legacy Special
                        '00 G&L S-500

My '87 Model 3 sounds "strattier" than all of them in the neck, neck & middle, and middle positions.

Damned fine pickups them there J100's
                        Model 3
                        Model 5A
                        Model 3B
                        Journeyman
                        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

I took the tone control off the middle and switched it to the bridge then the middle pick up had a more punch to it.
                          And had more control of the bridge to tame the spank for more grunt.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            It is official. The J100 and the J100S are the same thing. I've seen them with and without logos.
                            Old post to dig up, but I was just sussing out the same thing. I've owned two guitars with two J-100 pickups each (middle/neck) - both had the triangular shape that someone else mentioned. That is probably the only difference. I was thinking the S meant stack thouugh - sometimes you see that S for the J-200 as well.

Comment

Always thought the "S" suffix meant "staggered" polepieces....??

Comment

Working...
                              X