New to the forum and (sort of) new Charvel owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum and (sort of) new Charvel owner

Hi all, this is my first post to the forum. I used to own a Model 4 back in '88. It was my first "real" guitar. I lost interest somewhat later on (got married, children, etc.) and I sold it in '92. Lately I've really been wanting another and after reading the forum for a bit I decided to pull the trigger on a Charvel or two. I bought a Model 4M and a model 375. Both are in really great shape, except both have headstock chips (this seems to be pretty regular?). I have a couple of questions concerning the guitars if you gurus would lend an ear. The 4M seems to have a slight "wind blowing on a mike" sound when plugged into an amp. This disappears when the guitar is unplugged. It has the stock pickups and still had the mid boost hardware. I noticed the 375 seems to have a wide neck pocket on the body and what appeared to be dried glue. I removed the neck and it was shimmed in two places, at the heel and on the left side. I assume this isn't factory. The dried "glue" also appears to be dried clear coat as I've observed the same substance in the tremolo and pot cavities. The bridge pickup has been changed to a SD Trembucker (TB-10J sticker on the back) and the SD logo is engraved on back plate. Curiously though, there is no SD logo written on the bobbin that's visible. What do guys suggest about the neck pocket? Should I remove the shims? The neck has the toothpaste logo and the traditional Floyd nut so at the moment I'm not thinking it's a swapped neck. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Demp; 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM.

Welcome!
    Sounds like you need to replace the stereo jack on your 4M.
    Older SD didn't have anything written on the bobbins. And they say that the older ones are better sounding .

Comment

older ones ARE better sounding, cos they were mainly would by hand.. today almost everything is automised

as for the no logo thing. you can order them without logos, sand the logo off, or otherwise remove it
      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Demp,
        Welcome to the forum. I would love to see a pic of your 4M. I just picked up mine a couple of weeks ago. Great players.
        Tim

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome. I removed the shims on the 375 and cleaned up the pocket some. I can still fit a paper business card in the neck pocket (but not two). Should I re-shim it? Is this normal on this series? Thanks for the info on the SD. Tim, my 4M is a twin of yours. I've searched the FAQs but still unsure how to post a pic. I will try to get pics of both guitars today. Does the pixel size matter for posting? Thanks again!

Edited to add: I see the insert image icon now. I will get a some photos up today.

Comment

Here is the 375 (sans strings for now).

Comment

Here's the neck pocket...

Comment

Here's the 4M.....

Comment

Cool! I really like those black 4Ms!

Comment

Nice man, 4M kicks ass!
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I can never get my black guitars that shiny.

I can't get my black car that shiny come to think of it...
                      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

nice "guy taking a photo" graphic on the 4M

welcome!
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. It took a while to paint that "guy taking a photo" on there! LOL! So, the input jack could be the culprit for the noise? I took a look at it and it seems cheap looking. I have a better stereo jack lying around I may give that a try. Any ideas on that 375 neck pocket?

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            nice "guy taking a photo" graphic on the 4M
                            :ROTF:

The 4M is simply beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                            X