Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• son-of-a-Model 6?

apart from the ironic title
    Today I tried a Charvie which I cannot recognize for sure.
    It has definitly the Model 6 shape, neck thru, 24frets, volume+tone+mid-boost pots.
    It differs from a model 6 for a 5way switch (instead of the 3 usuals SPSTs switches).
    It has a Charvel by Schaller floyd style tremolo and the Charvel logo is not the guitar-shaped one.
    The #SN is over the last fret on the fingerboard and is: C904917

The pickups are 2 J200 and 1 which I cannot recognize. It is a jackson with a plastic cover but it doesn't have the Jackson diciture jutted out like the J200s. It is simply stamped on it.

any ideas?
    thx

It's a 650XL. They were made from '89 - '91.

From the '89 Catalog:

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...9Imports04.htm

Comment

What's the general opinion of these XL models ?? I'm watching for a Model 3-6, which I think ended production in '88 and possibly switched to these XLs ?? Where are they made ??

Comment

They were made in Japan too. They're just as good as the model series.

Comment

The 650xl has the improved trem compared to the Model 6. The JT-590 is thought by many to be superior to the JT-6 that came on the model 6's.
          I have a 650xl, and love it!!
          I only wish it had the old logo versus the toothpaste style.

Comment

Originally posted by hall View Post
            What's the general opinion of these XL models?
            Well there’s loads of threads here on the 650xl and model-6, so pretty easy to check the general opinion…I just bought a 650xl and I think it’s totally fantastic, but obviously I’m biased so I shouldn’t recommended it too strongly (whoops, too late lol!).

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
              The 650xl has the improved trem compared to the Model 6. The JT-590 is thought by many to be superior to the JT-6 that came on the model 6's.
              Correct. Plus most M6es came with a Kahler-style string lock, instead of a real locking nut.

Comment

I got a M6 with kahler and kahler style stringlock.
                It pwns me. I just love it. Anyway I think the Schaller bridge improves harmonics sustain...
                Last edited by Fix_Metal; 02-25-2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Ihave a model six as well what was the difference between them and the jacksons at the time?
                  85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

Originally posted by jonipop View Post
                    Ihave a model six as well what was the difference between them and the jacksons at the time?
                    There were no import Jacksons at the time of the Model series.
                    Compared with the 90's pro imports, the differences are a) rosewood instead of ebony, b) non-recessed trem instead of full trem recess, c) a little thicker body and d) more neck heel.

Comment

Working...
                    X