Not sure what this is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what this is...

So I saw this neck-thru, one hum/one slanted single, toothpaste-logoed platinum metal flake Charvel with a matching headstock, silver Kahler trem and dot inlays. What is it?

550xl

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...9Imports04.htm

Kahler? Was it a flatmount or a Steeler to replace the Schaller JT-590?
    Last edited by dg; 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      550xl

Kahler? Was it a flatmount or a Steeler to replace the Schaller JT-590?
      Thanks, I'd forgotten about that model!
      About the trem...it looked like there was a spot for a recessed trem, but the plate was above that, above the body of the guitar like a Model series top mount. It was really strange, and the trem was pretty beat up and rusty. Kind of a clunky looking unit, too, which is why I didn't even ask the price (that, and I didn't know which model it was or what the asking should be).

Comment

I think the trems on these were non-recessed, but they had a pull-up route. Still could be worth picking up for the right price, as long as the trem posts are still OK for a swap.

Comment

There's not a mark on it, other than the skanky trem. I'd have to rip that thing out and drop a real Floyd in, plus feed it some decent pick-ups, to get it ready for any sort of gigging. It makes me a bit ambivalent (especially since I've got a 375 with the same finish, and I can just hear the rash of abuse from the rest of the band), but I've done crazier things! I like that pickup config a lot, too.

Comment

Me too! I never use the middle pickup on my Model 6. That thing is screwed all the way down & out of my way. If the 5FX or 550 had sharkies, I wouldn't be able to resist grabbing one. I'll still probably get one eventually.

Comment

550 XL had dots Schaller trem damn nice guitars
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice 550XL. I just picked one up from Craig's List ($550 US). It's a rare dark green flake. The neck's a little fatter than my old Model 6 bolt-on, but I just love the J200R 2 rail humbucker paired with the J90C. The Schaller Floyd is also very solid and keeps the guitar well in tune.

Comment

Originally posted by sysin View Post
                  my old Model 6 bolt-on
                  Huh?
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                    Huh?
                    Or was it a model 4? not sure, but it was def a bolt on, shark fins, HSS with three toggles.

Comment

Sounds like a Model 4
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by sysin View Post
                        Nice 550XL. I just picked one up from Craig's List ($550 US). It's a rare dark green flake. The neck's a little fatter than my old Model 6 bolt-on, but I just love the J200R 2 rail humbucker paired with the J90C. The Schaller Floyd is also very solid and keeps the guitar well in tune.
                        like this one?

Hail yesterday

Comment

Sweet looks like my 375 body in dark green metallic I had for sale.

Comment

Here's mine:
                            http://www.sysin.com/charvel/

(Scheduled to be on ebay tomorrow). Hate to sell, but I just bought a Fusion Deluxe, whose neck is way thinner.

Comment

Actually, i have just the same kind of 550XL. I thought, that green flake paint was out of colour range, and that my guitar was black metallic. Because the colour is so dark, that it seems black in most lightning conditions. So the green flake is rare? I just wonder that how rare colour is that... and btw, i am not colourblind... It is nice to know more everyday from a guitar, which has followed me for many years... and is never going away

Comment

Working...
                              X