1986 Model 3 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Model 3 Questions

First let me state that this is a great forum. I bought a 1986 Model 3 Charvel about a month ago This is the first Charvel I have ever owned. I always went with the big names on guitars. Went into the music store where I live and played this one a year ago. It has chips and dings on it so I guess nobody ever gave it a second look. Thank goodness. I could not get that guitar off my mind for a long time but continued to go with the big names. I bought it to be a backup guitar for gigs and have since made it my main guitar. The neck profile is very thin compared to other guitars. I play a whole mixture of music and this guitar can pull off all the sound I need.

My guitar has a H-S-S set-up with a kahler trem. It is cream color with a black pick guard. I have not seen any others like this on this site. Please let me know if anyone else has a guitar like this and let me know what you think of it. Also what mods if any you may have done.

Originally posted by chrisbradshaw View Post
    First let me state that this is a great forum. I bought a 1986 Model 3 Charvel about a month ago This is the first Charvel I have ever owned. I always went with the big names on guitars. Went into the music store where I live and played this one a year ago. It has chips and dings on it so I guess nobody ever gave it a second look. Thank goodness. I could not get that guitar off my mind for a long time but continued to go with the big names. I bought it to be a backup guitar for gigs and have since made it my main guitar. The neck profile is very thin compared to other guitars. I play a whole mixture of music and this guitar can pull off all the sound I need.

My guitar has a H-S-S set-up with a kahler trem. It is cream color with a black pick guard. I have not seen any others like this on this site. Please let me know if anyone else has a guitar like this and let me know what you think of it. Also what mods if any you may have done.
    Hey Chris, and welcome to the forums!!

I actually have a Model 3 like yours, only in black..It's a great guitar, but I'm not so sure about the Kahler, so I'm getting it changed with a Kahler Killer instead, which is double-locking..I'm gonna throw a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge, and a SD JB jr in the neck..I think it's gonna be a killer fiddle!!

Good luck with yours!!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Welcome to the forum Chris, and congrats on your new Charvel - it's a great guitar and I'm pretty sure you'll love it just like the rest of us do our Models.

I have an '86 Model 3 in Pearl White (which is probably what your guitar is too). I'm a bit ahead MortenP as I already swapped the original Kahler Fulcrum bridge for a Kahler Killer. I can't say I was in any way unhappy with the original bridge, but it just so happened I came by a Killer locally and just had to snatch it.

I personally like my M3 all original, wouldn't mind dropping in the Fulcrum really. The Killer does look cooler. I've got other guitars with high output pickups - which is what I guess the Jackson pups in the Models were considered at the time - for stuff that calls for such things and the M3 is really serving as my "rock guitar" right now.

These guitars have a lot of fans on this forum and for a reason. It's a great, solid platform for mods and a great, solid guitar unmodded.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I actually have the bridge blocked and do not use the tremolo. The stlye of music I play does not require much of that. I really like the neck profile. That has got to be the thinnest neck I have ever felt.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbradshaw View Post
          Thanks for the input. I actually have the bridge blocked and do not use the tremolo. The stlye of music I play does not require much of that. I really like the neck profile. That has got to be the thinnest neck I have ever felt.
          Compared to later and other J/C products, I'd say the Model neck profile is pretty fat. Compared to an average Stratocaster for example, it is indeed thin as as toothpick. One's mileage will definetely vary on this matter.

Comment

I have 2 of these.. (color)

Comment

I've got one exactly like that too. I love it, including the Kahler bridge. No issues with it whatsoever, and yes, I use it. It is my favorite of my numerous Charvels.

Comment

Cool, that's what my guitar looks like. I am glad to know that other people have the same and they like it to.

Comment

...and here's mine, in case someone missed it earlier.

Comment

Twins...

Comment

I have three Model 3's - a black one w/black pickguard and one just like yours and a 3A which also looks just like yours. The first two have Kahlers that I love and the 3A I just recently put a floyd on.......I have owned lots of guitars (strats, gibsons, moserites, etc) and these guitars are "head and shoulders" above them all ! ! ! ! Enjoy.

Comment

I just got a model 3 exactly like the one in the pictures - It was given to me free when a co-worker weas cleaning out his attic. Same snot-yellow color, mine needs some cleaning, a pickup cover, re-soldering of the output jack and some strings. Can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like!

Comment

Nice 3's and welcome to the site. I got my eyes peeled for a 3 or 3a down the road, I own a 2 and 4M. Rock on!
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by scaristei View Post
                            I have three Model 3's - a black one w/black pickguard and one just like yours and a 3A which also looks just like yours. The first two have Kahlers that I love and the 3A I just recently put a floyd on.......I have owned lots of guitars (strats, gibsons, moserites, etc) and these guitars are "head and shoulders" above them all ! ! ! ! Enjoy.

My first Charvel... 3A a great guitar..love it!

Comment

Dammit GTarman68, you have exactly what I want. Sell it to me.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X