Some Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Pics

Finally got a whole day off from work! To celebrate, I bought a new camera to replace the one I "lent" to my sister when she had her baby. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm now going to attempt to put up a few shots of my Model 6 & 750XL. Hope I didn't screw up too badly & photobucket cooperates.

Hopefully, you are seeing my '87 Model 6 with recently added OFR. She's in pretty good shape overall, with a couple of small dings and a scratch or 2. Probably going to stick an Invader in the bridge, which means I'll likely need to go with something much hotter than the J200s in the neck & middle. I'm thinking Hotrails maybe. Suggestions?

Re: Some Pics

Post in the classifieds when you get ready to unload the J-200s.NICE mod 6 BTW
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The Hot Rails would match up quite nicely with an Invader, at least in terms of output. I've got one matched with a Distortion in the bridge and a Cool Rails in the mid in my 650xl. The Hot Rails gives a great shred metal lead tone. If you get one though, you'll either have to route the guitar a tiny bit or order one without the triangle lip on the front side. The Duncan rep said there is no charge for that, but it would take an additional 6 weeks. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Here are a few shots of my 750XL. Love this guitar. Not quite as pretty a top as some I've seen, but not too shabby. This guitar was in like-new condition when I bought it in November. It now has 2 small chips in the clearcoat along the edge of the lower bout. When we were getting ready to move in March, I picked up the case without making sure it was latched. The guitar barely slid out, but just enough for the metal edge of the case to do the damage. We need a graemlin that beats his head against a wall or something... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I put the last 2 shots in there in case some of you haven't seen the neck-joint on one of these. I think it's a work of art. I had never seen anything quite like it before. Thanks to all the guys here whose posts about these awesome guitars gave me the push to go get mine! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm feeling the 750XL.

Tasty real tasty.

Comment

Very nice two-some dg, looks like the camera works very well....... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That is a wonderful looking 750XL for sure. I agree with Dave, looks like you bought the right camera.

I think that it is a commonly used method of joining necks to the body. I recently stripped a Fernandes guitar and discovered the same joint under the paint. There's a picture of that in this thread: paint removed

/Henrik
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys!
                Richard, it may be a while yet because of my work schedule, but if you want dibs on the J200s, let me know.
                Travis, can you just do an undercut with a dremel tool for the Hot Rails & sort of rock it into place, or is a full on route necessary? Can the lip itself be modified?
                Henrik, that Fernandes is sweet! I like the backshape of that neck. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] I guess what I meant about the neck joint is how they were able to keep the heel so minimal, compared to say a PRS, where they actually had to increase heel size on the 24 fret guitars because of stability issues. Mahogany necks there, though. It's easy to see why so many people (particularly on eBay) mistake these for neckthroughs, especially the solid colors.

Comment

very nice! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  which one do you like more? i´m asking because i own an archtop soloist which is nearly like the 750 and i own a soloist pro which is like the model 6.

i like the archtop more, how about you?

Comment

dg, would you happen to have a picture of the empty neck pickup cavity? I'm interested in how the set neck is done the Jackson/Charvel way.

Man, every time i return to this thread i just have to take another look at your trans red 750XL. Envyyyyyyyyyy! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

As far as an undercut, I'm not sure. I've heard of people doing it, so I'll assume it works. I just have no personal experience with it. As far as modifying the pickup lip, I suppose you could if you're experienced. I, however, am not. The Cool Rails has no lip and is also a good match with hotter pickups. It is more of a vintage humbucker type tone, though. I've got a couple of those as well. If you really want the Hot Rails and don't want to modify the guitar or the pickup, try to order it from Duncan without the lip. Like I said before, it'll take some extra time. But had I known I could have ordered it that way before, I wouldn't have routed my 650 that tiny bit needed to fir the pickup. But I was young and didn't know any better.

Comment

Joe, that is a tough question. I play the Model 6 more. It just demands to be picked up & played. I find it a bit more comfortable & the neck is a little thinner, which I like. I'm used to strat style guitars and I think it has more of a strat feel than the 750, which has a bit more of a Les Paul vibe, at least to me. I like the sound of the 750XL more, but that may change with the pickup swap. It's prettier, for sure. I love the 5-way switch and I'll want one on any 2-hum guitar from now on. I preferred the trem over the JT-6, but that's not an issue now. The shorter scale length is pretty cool, but I can't say I prefer it. I guess I love both, but in different ways.

Henrik, I'll see if I can get a good pic of the cavity next time I change strings.

Travis, thanks again for all the info. If the lip can't be trimmed, I'll probably try the undercut (carefully) & route if necessary.

Comment

Sweet Model6 bro! I did a refin on mine a few years back. I think it was that(your)color to start out, but mine was a little beat up. So I painted it Indigo Blue (G.M. color)with a flame at the neck/body transition.
                          You are right about that guitar begging to be played! Everybody should have one! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Travis does that lip area on the pickup apply to just the HGot Rails or do Dimarzio single sized humbuckers have the same issue? I have a few Fast Teracks and Pro Tracs that aren't bad. Would they fit without mods?

Comment

I believe that the Fast Track and Pro Track from Dimarzio would need to be modded as well. I hopped on to Dimarzio.com and most of the single coils I saw had the lip to them. To help you visualize,

Youve got a Hot Rails here:

Youve got a Cool Rails here:

Now check out the route for the single coils on your model 6:

The Cool Rails will fit where the Hot Rails will not because the lip extends out farther than the pickup route on a model 6 will allow. Because of the route on the guitar, I think that any pickup with a lip would need mods. Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X