Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions....

Hi everyone,
    I have been lurking here for a while and trying to get as much info off of these boards as possible without asking any stupid questions. I didn't know anything about Charvels and now I feel I know a little and can have a semi- inteligent conversation about these great guitars. One of the first things I learned was the kind of Charvel I want is gonna be WAY more expensive than I can think about right now. So, I have decided to get as close as possible and combine all the things I want in a "home made custom" Import Charvel. I am starting off with a Model 3 strat type with the pickguard, H/S/S config and the Kahler Traditional trem.

First question: What is a good replacement neck for this guitar? I want a strat head, but a real one is WAY too expensive at the moment. Is there a pretty good alternate? A Warmoth? Any suggestions? Can I get a Charvel logo sticker?

Second question: Is it possible to swap the Kahler for a Floyd? I am guessing the fulcrum posts don't line up or I'd see some Model 3 strats with them already. How hard would it be to convert? If the posts are close but not right it seems it would bw a REAL hassle to do.

I guess that's it, I just want to thank you guys for all this info and passion about the Charvels. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: A couple questions....

First question: Yes, warmoth is a good start. As far as a logo... I view that as a big no-no. There's too much room for someone down the line to claim it as an authentic.

Second question: yes, it is possible, but not necessarily easy. You're definitely going to have to fill in the old post holes. But you can purchase a Floyd Rose routing template from Stew-mac...
    Occupy JCF

Comment

You say Warmoth is a good start, what else do you recommend? I'd love something that is close to a Charvel neck as possible feel and shape wise.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

If you want a Floyd on it wait for a Model 3 with the JT6 and swap it out, it will be a lot easier in the long run. When you said you wanted a Model 3 with the Kahler I figured you liked the Kahler and were going to keep it. The JT6 posts line up perfect for a Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
          If you want a Floyd on it wait for a Model 3 with the JT6 and swap it out, it will be a lot easier in the long run. When you said you wanted a Model 3 with the Kahler I figured you liked the Kahler and were going to keep it. The JT6 posts line up perfect for a Floyd.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Every Model 3 with a pickguard I've seen has the Kahler, I've seen about 4 or 5 of them recently. Do the Model 3's without the pick guard still have the 5 way switch?

Comment

Well I guess I answered my own question! I looked around and found one or two pics with the 5 way and no pickguard. I dunno how it would look to retro a pickguard on to one without one....?

Comment

Well, the Jackson Dinky STD had a pickguard on the face of the guitar, but it was a rear-loaded instrument.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

You can also get a neck from GMW.
                I know you want a strat head. The model series pointy necks are good necks. They are very slim and fast. Very well made.
                If you have never played a Kahler fulcrum give it a chance. I know a lot of people put them down. But I have a 86 model 3A with a fulcrum and I like just as much as my floyded guitars. Actually it is easier to restring, less maintenence. And stays in tune just as well as the floyds.

[ June 24, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: mudkicker ]

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                  Well, the Jackson Dinky STD had a pickguard on the face of the guitar, but it was a rear-loaded instrument.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><center></center>
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

you can also get our old pal Sully to do a neck for ya!

he's doing one for me right now.

www.sullyguitars.com
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by mudkicker:
                      ......If you have never played a Kahler fulcrum give it a chance. I know a lot of people put them down. But I have a 86 model 3A with a fulcrum and I like just as much as my floyded guitars. Actually it is easier to restring, less maintenence. And stays in tune just as well as the floyds.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info, I have not played a guitar with the Kahler, but I figured it had to be decent, Kahler seems to make well engineered products. Thanks for the neck advice as well, the pointy headstock just seems a bit dated to me, I'd love a reverse headstock one though!

Comment

cheap necks and bodies

www.guitarpartsonline.com

Thanx for the link Sully!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X