What pickups in your 750xl's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups in your 750xl's?

What do you guys, who have 750's, stock up with? I've got dual EMG 89's and they do sound really good. They split up quite nicely for the cleans, and the tone is clear under heavy gain. What do you have and why do you like them?

Re: What pickups in your 750xl\'s?

Well, when I bought mine from Eric, it had a J50B in the neck position and a Screamon Demon in the bridge position. I've been playing it for awhile now this way and I'm really starting to like it. Not too sure about the J50B as I may put a Duncan 59 in it. I had planned to put Emg's in it (2 89's to split just like you!) but now I'm not sure if I want to do that just yet. What does everyone else have?

Dve->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i don´t have a 750XL, but i own a Soloist Archtop Pro, which is nearly the same guitar except the ebony fretboard and some minor things.
      (so please don´t kill me for posting this [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
      original there were a J50N and a J50B, i changed them to a pair of dimarzio evolutions (neck and brigde). the evo bridge has got so much output, that the axe screams realy loud, the neck is a bit more like a PAF but with more gain. it is possible to split both pups separatly. so you can get a very nice clean-sound.
      this guitar rocks! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the stock J-50 In the neck and the Stock J90 in the bridge... I had a DiMarzio MegaDrive in the bridge, (it was there when I bought the guitar) it sounded like ass, I put a DiMarzio Evolution in the bridge, still not quite right, but the original J-90 sound really good. I'm happy with it for the moment... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its funny how so many of us go back to the old trusty J series pickups.I must have had at least 10 different pickups in my star mutt(swamp ash)and could never seem to find the tone I was looking for.Just for shits and giggles I slapped in a J-95 and what do you know, there was the tone I had been searching for. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It has been the consensus of this Board that the EMG pickup is outstanding in this guitar. Mine has an '81 in the bridge and a "woman tone" '58 in the neck.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I'm not familiar with the 58? Do you mean 85?

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Joe might mean the 85 but he may have also found an old 58 which was out before the 85 and is no longer made. I can't remember Joe mentioning it before though, so it may be an 85, though I know he's got the odd 89 in a guitar or two....

Anyway, mine came with two SA's in the neck position (I kid you not, they were screwed in side by side) and what I was told was an 81 in the bridge. It sounded awesome thru my original Valvestate Marshall. Anyway it turns out it was an 85 in the bridge.

I sold those pickups and bought a new set of 81 and 85 with the quick connect clips and put the 81 in the bridge for a change and the 85 in the neck. Still sounded good.

Recently got the Budman pickup rings to suit the pickup swap and swapped them around while I was installing them. Have yet to try it thru the TSL100 I have now but am looking forward to it.

Comment

You can still get the EMG 58. EMG has it listed under the "Custom Shop."
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Cool. You learn something new everyday. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The EMGs sound interesting, but will they require irreversible mods to the guitar? I am quite reluctant about that 'cause the 750XL is one of the two guitars that I have that has a sense of history behind them (the other being a post-Kramer ownership Ferrington acoustic that looks like an electric, complete with pointy headstock [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

And are the EMGs capable of warm, organic, open, singing tones? I've often heard that they can sound kinda "cold"...

Comment

You'll have to judge how they sound for yourself thru your own equipment but they won't require any mods to your guitar. They will look a bit weeny in the pickup rings as the covers on the jackson pickups back then were a little oversized and the rings are too, but other pickups are not oversized, if you get my drift. I just got Budmans pickup rings which make it all look better again, highly recommened.

Comment

I've had plenty of EMGs over the years in those big goofy oversized Charvel pickup rings, and I thought they looked fine, but then I'm weird...just ask my wife! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Nope, I meant what I said, the EMG-58. It's the forerunner to their 85 model. EMG discontinued it around 1984 or so because it had "noise" problems. It nails the Santana tone and Clapton "woman tone" to the T. There's a lot of cool discontinued USA active EMG's out there and many swear by them...
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X