my first charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first charvel

well i bought the $250 Charvel Fusion Custom silver flake finish. Its H/S/S, black hardware, schaller floyd, seymour duncan TB4J in the bridge and some unlabeled rails single coils in neck and middle.

cool guitar, but the TB4J is kind of low output for my tastes. Which is strange, because i thought TB's were the same as JB, just trem spacing. I love JBs, they usually have plenty of bite and gain for my tastes but thisold TB4J just isnt cutting it. it doest have some wear and tear on it, a little rust and dirt. could this humbucker be messed up somehow?

also, does anyone know the model/type if single coils that came in my guitar? like i said, they are rails, with no labels. and kind of rusty too.

thanks all

Re: my first charvel

Yeah, you're right. It's the same pickup as the JB, and they have some serious output when in full humbucker mode. It could be that it's wired up so that you're only getting one of the coils on-line.

- Steve
    Model 3
    Model 5A
    Model 3B
    Journeyman
    Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It shouldn't be too difficult to check. The JB's a splittable humbucker with four coloured wires and a braided shield coming off of it. What you should have is the green & braided shield soldered together and going to earth (usually the back of a volume or tone pot), the red and the white soldered together and the joint wrapped in insulating tape, and the black one going to the selector switch.

Like this:
        Seymour Duncan wiring diagram for one 4-conductor HB and two single coils.

- Steve
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

wierd.. the red and black are together, going to the pickup selector switch. and the green and white are soldered together going to the back of the tone pot. .

Comment

That sounds like it is wired with the Dimarzio 4 wire color code.

Comment

so i should change it to what duncan says? :lol

Comment

YUP!!
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I would think a J50b in the bridge and 2 j-200s for singles with the J-1000 pre amp would be the original set up for a fusion.I could be wrong so someone correct me if I'm wrong.If not an active system a JH-2 in the bridge and 2 stacked singles.IMO is a killer combination.A LITTLE WD 40 and a tooth brush will clean those pickups just fine.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

hmm. i guess i will have to try to re-wire this duncan to see if it changes anything.

Comment

Duncan HBs...

Standard humbucker:
                      Red and White together,
                      Green and Shield (bare) the ground,
                      Black to hot.

Tapped:
                      Ground Red and White.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
                        I would think a J50b in the bridge and 2 j-200s for singles with the J-1000 pre amp would be the original set up for a fusion.I could be wrong so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The Fusion Deluxe had a J90C and a slanted twin rail single coil sized humbucker

The Fusion Custom had the J90C and two of the twinrails

The Fusion Special had 3 Charvel branded J200 stacked humbuckers.

Comment

well re-wired it to what seymour duncan says and it sounds 10 times better. the tone control also produces better results now!

thanks to everyone who helped [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X