Model 3A restoration/upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3A restoration/upgrade

A couple months ago, I purchased a Charvel Model 3A body from DJROBA. It was a project that he planned on doing something with, but never got around to it. So when he posted it in the Classifieds, I jumped on the opportunity to pick it up.

After I paid for the guitar, he and I exchanged e-mails and made plans to meet in Chicago (at my favorite bar) and make "the exchange".

After I got the guitar from him I started thinking about what I wanted to do with it. So after some thought, here's what I came up with....

<center></center>

Now my dilemma is how to switch pickups. Here's my two options:[*]Black mini toggle (shown as silver in the picture)[*]Push/pull volume knob

What do you guys think?
    Occupy JCF

Re: Model 3A restoration/upgrade

Love them toggles.

Comment

Looks cool, Todd. I vote for toggle switch as well.
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I hate to be the black sheep but I really like the push/push volume(yes, I said push/push!) I don't like the push/pull knobs as they aren't as quick. On customs such as you're building, I've grown to like the clean look more and more. Looks very cool either way though Todd [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks guys. I have most of the parts* and before I send it to get re-painted (trying to decide where to send it) I wanted to be sure that I had decided what was going in it.

Thanks Dave you just gave me another option. (Jerk! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) But I've gotta say, I'm leaning more towards a black mini toggle.

*Parts List[*]Custom cut Warmoth Pearloid Pickguard (black screws)[*]Seymour Duncan Distortion Trembucker (white)[*]Seymour Duncan Distortion Humbucker (white)[*]Black Dome Knob (not ordered yet)[*]Input jack with black plate (not ordered yet)[*]Black Original Floyd Rose (not ordered yet)
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I vote for the mini-toggle.

By the way, I absolutely love the colour scheme, and the pearl pickguard and white pickups are the perfect choice.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'd probably go for a toggle similar to the DK1.

BTW, how much does a re-painting usually cost and can you name some places who do it? I've got a beat up Model 2 that I was thinking about re-doing.

Regards, JD...

Comment

I don't like the big toggle and they don't come in black.

I haven't decided on a painter yet. I'm still pricing them out.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                  What do you guys think? [/QB]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Red and White, great colors! Put a number 19 sticker on their and you have me sold.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TEKKY:
                    What do you guys think?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Red and White, great colors! Put a number 19 sticker on their and you have me sold. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry man, my number is 51.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                      I vote for the mini-toggle.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree... toggle all the way [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I vote for the push/pull. I think it would just look cleaner to me. Oh yeah, and a maple fretboard. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Les Paul Toggle and change the black Floyd to chrome [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think what you are doing Todd is cool, these import parts make great players if you use good pickups and trems, which you are. I have about 6-8 of these (couple I need to put together, been burned out on projects the last few months) and they make some of my best players. I sand down the back of the necks with 600 wet/dry to get rid of the sticky lacquer feel.

Post some pictures when you get her finished.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like the idea of just a single volume push/pull knob, but I also like mini toggles too. My Kramer Pacer which I customized has a mini toggle and volume knob just like I'm thinking.

<center></center>
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

OK guys, I decided...

Mini toggle it is... Now to find someone to re-paint it cheap...
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X