Time too introduce myself and my Model 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time too introduce myself and my Model 5

Just want too say hello. I belong too many other forums but am brand spankin' new too this board. Anyway, What brings me here is my just acquired (2 days ago) Model 5. The story behind this one kinda goes something like this........Walked into my local music store about 1/2 yr ago. Hangin' on the wall was a red Charvel Model 5. I picked it up to check it out. It was in pretty rough shape. frets were well worn, Kahler kept fallin' apart, didnt really impress me that is 'till I started playin' it and was just blown away by the neck and just the overall playability. Anyways, the guitar disappeared over time but i never forgot that neck and ive been obsessing about it ever since. Finally I couldnt take it anymore and had to have one. On ebay i went and found one bout a week ago. Got it for $365+shipping. The thing is pristine, The guy treated it like a museum peice. Matter of fact since it had no pickguard he put a thin piece of clear plastic adhesive on it which ive since removed so there arent even any pickmarks or swirls (gotta love that!). It's the same color red and everything, The only difference is this one has a Jackson floyd rose, which is cool since i'll most likely replace it with a real floyd anyway. Ive played and owned just about every make and model guitar out there and have played all the different necks (Wizards, Jacksons, N4's etc) But none of them played quite like the Model 5. I have a few questions maybe somone can help. Is the playability the same as the top of the line Model 6's. Is there a huge difference between the 2 ? I don't really care for the shark inlays and the fancy stuff just general playability. Also i heard they're similar to the soloist. Havent played one in a while, how are the similarities there? Excuse the long post, just havent seen much info on the Model 5's and figured what better place than here. Any fans of the Model 5 and It's incredible neck out there? Thanks in advance........

Hi and welcome Sitamoia50. As far as comparing the Model 5 to a Model 6, I'm pretty sure they are of the same construction. Both are neck-through's. Model 5 has the HH and Model 6 has the HSS. Dot markers for the Model 5 and sharkies for the Model 6. So, really the only difference between the two Models are the pup layouts and the inlays.

Oh, and please post pics of your guitar by following NOTP's tutorial:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29708

Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Great guitar! I was watching that one too, especially since it didn't sell the first time around, but already had plans on a 650xl. I was actually surprised more people didn't go for it, as a Model 5 in the same color with a Kahler sold days earlier for quite a bit more. I think you got a great deal!!
      I'm really looking forward to playing my "new" Charvel, which hopefully will arrive in about a week, as I've heard and read many good things about their neckthru guitars.
      I'm one of those guys that does prefer the inlays and binding on the neck.
      I think it's a sickness!

Comment

Welcome, and +1 for pics of your guitar!

Like Thin Lizzy, BTW?

Sitamoia is an awesome song

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat
          Great guitar! I was watching that one too, especially since it didn't sell the first time around, but already had plans on a 650xl. I was actually surprised more people didn't go for it, as a Model 5 in the same color with a Kahler sold days earlier for quite a bit more. I think you got a great deal!!
          I'm really looking forward to playing my "new" Charvel, which hopefully will arrive in about a week, as I've heard and read many good things about their neckthru guitars.
          I'm one of those guys that does prefer the inlays and binding on the neck.
          I think it's a sickness!
          Yeah, I saw that one that sold for quite a bit more a few day earlier. Glad I could save $200 on essentially the same guitar. The only difference was the Kahler which i'm glad mine had the Jackson Floyd cus from what i understand the real Floyds will fit in there perfectly with no mods, so that works out well. Actually I take back the comment about the Sharkfins and the binding. What i meant was for this particular model I didnt mind not havin' the "fancy stuff". I actually like the "fins and binding" also.........I'll take 'em anyway I can get 'em for a good price which I find these particular high end models 5 & 6 to be (unbelievably great prices for high quality guitars). Thanks for the reply and good luck with your 650xl........p.s. I'm glad you only watched the Model 5 !

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragonknight
            Welcome, and +1 for pics of your guitar!

Like Thin Lizzy, BTW?

Sitamoia is an awesome song
            HA HA, You can always tell the people from overseas. They recognize the Lizzy reference right away. Here in the states they usually never heard of Sitamoia. Yes, Im a huge Lizzy fan. I have 2 of there album covers tattoed on my arms. The Black Rose album and the Chinatown album. I will be taking pics sometime this weekend. I gotta head up to my Brother's house and use his digital camera. I'll post 'em asap

Comment

Thin Lizzy are true legends, gotta love them!

That sounds badass, will be looking forward to those pics!

I think I'll put on "With Love" now that you mentioned Black Rose.. probably my fav song from that album

Comment

When you removed the plastic film off the guitar, was there any color difference between the parts that were covered and the parts that weren't? That was one of my only concerns about that guitar. Any leftover adhesive can be easily removed, but color is hard to change.

Comment

Holy crap!! I just saw the deal you got on the Hamer with the cracked headstock. That is sweet!!!
                  I'm a professional furniture maker/cabinetmaker, and I think that would be an easy repair.
                  Why don't I find stuff like that!!!

Comment

When you removed the plastic film off the guitar, was there any color difference between the parts that were covered and the parts that weren't? That was one of my only concerns about that guitar. Any leftover adhesive can be easily removed, but color is hard to change.
                    Took the plastic off and no color difference whatsover.

Comment

Holy crap!! I just saw the deal you got on the Hamer with the cracked headstock. That is sweet!!!
                      I'm a professional furniture maker/cabinetmaker, and I think that would be an easy repair.
                      Why don't I find stuff like that!!!
                      Dude, is that Hamer insane or what. That's my baby. Seriously the nicest guitar ive ever owned. I sold my Les Pauls after buying that one and bought a few more Hamers. I'm pretty much a Hamer man now. I just love 'em. The funny part was the crack was so minor I havent even gotten it fixed yet. The thing is rock solid and holds tune fine. I will admit it almost ruined ebay for me....Ive been looking for a deal like that one ever since, but It's like a dog chasing it's tail. I doubt it'll ever happen. It doesnt get any better than that one. Between that Hamer and this Charvel I probably own the two easiest playing necks in the world. I can set these things down and they'll play on they're own!!!!!!!!...........................p.s. I was lucky on that one. I was like the 2nd or 3rd person to look at that one. I swear i almost S**T my pants. I was hyperventilating when I clicked the "buy it now" button. almost sent the keyboard flying i hit it so fast !!!! No lie, the guy who sold it too me said he was getting offers left and right AFTER I has already won the guitar. Thank god he wasnt money hungry and took someone up on there offer. that guitar goes for like $2000 new.....Course having said that I'm a Hamer man, After this Model 5 I also see more Charvels in my future.
                      Last edited by Sitamoia50; 08-05-2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Great pickup, i have yet to play my model 6, 10 days and counting....
                        I'm sure you'll have the model 5 for ages

Comment

Originally posted by Model 6 Matt
                          Great pickup, i have yet to play my model 6, 10 days and counting....
                          I'm sure you'll have the model 5 for ages
                          Yeah, this is a keeper. Ive been obsessing about one till I finally caved in and had to have one. Good luck with your Model 6. That might just be my next guitar.........

Comment

thanks, from what i hear they are great, and the 5's and 6's seem the same as each other except for the extra little bits.
                            Either way they rock!

Comment

Thin Lizzy kicks ass and so do the Charvel Model 5s!

PICS!!!!
                              Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                              Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X