Dating 80's imports...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating 80's imports...

I now know you can't date them by serial number. Is there a date stamp anywhere? I've never taken one apart, but I would think there may be something either a.) stamped on the pots. b.) stamped in the control cavity. or c.) stamped on the heel. I'm just really curious as to what year I have.
    How do you think we fund this organization? We're not exactly the March of Dimes.

Re: Dating 80\'s imports...

THe only way to really tell is by assessing certain features-namely bridge type and headstock logos. If you describe your guitar in detail, someone here will be able to tell you roughly when it was made.

Comment

I had my Model 4 completely disassembled last night. There's no date codes on it, but there is a stamp in the neck pocket and in the trem cavity. If these were used to indicate dates, they might help.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

are you talking about the year, or the actual date it was made? b/c if you're talking about the year, i thought (correct me if i'm wrong) that the year is in the serial number. IIRC, most imports beging w/ a C followed by the rest of the numbers. the number after the C is the number to determine the year, i.e. if it was a 6, then it was made in '86, if it was a 7, made in '87. i don't know, i could be talking out of my ass here, but that's what i've heard! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

kevin
        the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

Kevin, that's only on the neckthrus. The bolt-ons used an entirely different numbering scheme that gives no indication of the year of manufacture. There were threads (on the old board?) attempting to put together a timeline for the bolt-on serials, but I don't remember how far it got.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker:
            I dated an import in the 80's.
            MIM all the way and really cute with all that hairspray and spandex. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's a good one!

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Rolling thunder chech this thread out. http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=5;t=000696
              I think I have found a way to date the 80s imports.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                Kevin, that's only on the neckthrus. The bolt-ons used an entirely different numbering scheme that gives no indication of the year of manufacture. There were threads (on the old board?) attempting to put together a timeline for the bolt-on serials, but I don't remember how far it got.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ah, thank you for that correction. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

kevin
                the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

I dated an import in the 80's.
                  MIM all the way and really cute with all that hairspray and spandex. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Thanks mudkicker, that'll help a lot. Flatpicker, the last import I had was 90 - 94, made in China. Dinky body, but carried a DD logo. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] It turned out to be too much on the pocketbook, so I had to trade 'er in. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    How do you think we fund this organization? We're not exactly the March of Dimes.

Comment

Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X