Model 6 or 650XL in flame top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 or 650XL in flame top?

New to Charvel guitars and this forum, but I've done a bit of research on the Model 6 and 650XL. However I haven't been able to find whether either of them ever came with with transparent finishes over flame tops.
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of any?

Just a few days ago I won a white 650xl on ebay. The seller had it as a model 6, but after checking on this site, it's obviously a 650xl, as it has the toothpaste logo, 5 way switch, etc...
    Not the bargain of the year at $430, but it looks to be in great shape, and although my heart was set on a Jackson SL2H, this works out much better financially and hopefully it's performance will be close to the Jackson. Really looking forward to it!!

I have seen pictures of a number of 750XL's with sunburst finished flame tops, and if they exist, would love to get my hands on a 650XL or Model 6 like that.
    I really like the red firecrackle finish as well. Did the 650XL come in that finish? Would like to get my hands on one of those too.

I'm a big fan of neckthru / set-neck guitars. I've had an Ibanez PS10 since 1981. Nice guitar, but the style's a little out there for me at this point. Mellowing out with Charvels and Jacksons!

Welcome aboard! Unfortunately, they didn't make the Model 6 or 650XL w/ a flametop. That's actually a pretty good price on the 650, imo. Congrats! I think you're really going to love it. WRT firecrackle, Model 6 came in that finish, but not the 650. According to the old catalog scans it looks like the only crackle finish they came in was Desert Crackle, which kinda looks like cracked eggshell. You never know for sure, though. Guitars pop up in finishes not listed in the catalogs pretty often. 750XLs in dark metallic green are a good example.
    Last edited by dg; 08-03-2006, 06:52 PM.

Comment

You got a great guitar. Let's see some pics. I bought my 650xl NOS in 92, and I will never sell it. It's been modded to hell and back again, well that may be an exageration. But, now it's the ulitmate metal axe. I've had 3 750xl's as well, all 3 in trans finishes with flame maple tops. Either one of those guitars will rival a USA Jackson of the same era.

Comment

Thanks for the info!! It's really unfortunate the 6 / 650's never came with flame maple tops. I had a feeling that was the case, as I've never seen one anywhere, but you never know until you ask!

Now #1 on my list will be to get a hold of a red firecrackle model 6.

There was a model 5 in firecrackle that just sold on ebay a little over a week ago. I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on it, but I have thing for bound necks, so it was probably best I wait for the right one to come along.
        Did anyone see the sunburst 750XL that sold there recently ? It went for nearly $1100.!!! Wow, that's about what a really good used SL2H goes for!

The white 650XL is coming from California, and I happen to be in Canada. Waaaay up north in the Yukon. (Just beside Alaska)
        So I won't see it for at least a week. If I can, I'll try and get pictures up after it arrives.

By the way, is it worth to upgrade to the EMG 81/SA/SA pickups, and if so, do all the electronics have to be swapped out?

Comment

The stock pickups tend to be the weakest part of these guitars, though some people do like them. If you like EMGs, it's absolutely worth it to do the upgrade, but you will need to remove the electronics & go with the EMG pots.

Comment

The 650 does come in black/gold crackle as well. Thats what mine is. Firecrackle would be cool too. I like the crackle finishes too.

Comment

Would you have a picture you could post of your guitar with the black/gold crackle finish?
              Sounds really nice!!
              I've never seen one like that.

Comment

As you can see its in pieces. And yes it has a guitar shaped logo. Its also possible that it was silver crackle when new. The clear might have yellowed making it look gold. Or it could be gold.
                Last edited by Carbuff; 08-03-2006, 10:38 PM.

Comment

That's cool!! I like it!!

Looks like I have a lot to learn about Charvel guitars!
                  I had thought all 650XL's had the toothpaste logo.
                  Obviously not!!

Comment

Well, you may not see another that doesnt. This one came from Australia so it may be some strange foreign market/transition deal

Comment

Originally posted by dg
                      If you like EMGs, it's absolutely worth it to do the upgrade, but you will need to remove the electronics & go with the EMG pots.
                      +1, although I would definitely recommend the EMG-85 over the EMG-81. On my Model 6, the singlecoil routes were too deep to get the EMG singlecoils close enough to the strings (that's because the stock pups are actually stacked humbuckers). You may have to get hold of longer screws to properly adjust them.

Comment

Niiiiice crackle! I agree with Sun - 85 over 81. I was just playing my 650 last night. I think I'm gonna convert it to my E-flat axe. I have a D-tuna on it so at that tuning I can make it a low beast. I prolly have to switch to 10's minimum. Maybe 11's.

Comment

I have a 650 with stock pickups and other guitars with EMG's. I actually like the stock pickups in the 650 and have no interest in changing them, even though I like EMGs.

Comment

Cool guitar!

I like the stock pickups on my 650Xl too.
                            Facebook - Youtube

Comment

If you do add EMG's you DO NOT need to remove ANY of the existing wiring and pots. EMG's (and any pickup for that matter) are able to work with the active Jackson electronics since the pre amp is the final stage before output. So if you keep the active mid boost it will operate fine, giving your EMG's extra mid range.
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X