Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good "starter" Charvel?

Hi peeps!

I've always thought that the old Charvels from the 80's look awesome, but I've never gotten around to trying one. Is it possible to score a really good Charvel for small cash, to get the feel of them? Which model would you guys recommend that I try out? It would be a gamble, seeing as I can't try one before I buy one. They don't show up often on this side of the pond (Norway), so pretty sure I'll have to import one..

For 2-300$, do you think I could score a nice guitar to see if Charvel is my thang? I'm looking to avoid super-thin necks, and I'd rather it isn't a single humbucker guitar.

Cheers,
    Jon-A

Easily achieved.

For that money you could get a Model 1-2-3, perhaps even 4 here in Europe.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Are you in the U.S. if so you should be able to get a nice one for that $. Look at ebay for what you might like & good luck.

Comment

You would be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who doesn't like the Charvel Model series. Depending on what type of tremolo you want, the Model 1 and 2's are great straight up rockers. If you're wanting something with more pick-up selection then check out the Model 3's. Those will be the ones you can pick up for between two to three hundred clams. You won't be disappointed either.

Comment

I picked up a 87-88 Model 2 in blue metallic in just about mint condition for $300.00 with original case on ebay. This guitar rocks big time. You will like it.

<-----------that's it! (avatar photo)
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
            Are you in the U.S. if so you should be able to get a nice one for that $. Look at ebay for what you might like & good luck.

That's the problem.. I'm in Norway.. or it's not really a problem, I can still find a good deal if I'm patient, but right now there's not even ONE Charvel up on the biggest national classifieds.. So searching for a deal abroad is the easiest..

If I get a 100 posts here on this forum, maybe I can score a deal on the forum Classifieds... don't have an eBay account..

Comment

Originally posted by Razor
              You would be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who doesn't like the Charvel Model series. Depending on what type of tremolo you want, the Model 1 and 2's are great straight up rockers. If you're wanting something with more pick-up selection then check out the Model 3's. Those will be the ones you can pick up for between two to three hundred clams. You won't be disappointed either.

Are there any place on the net where I can see the basics of each Model? Pics and info of each maybe? I surfed eBay to see what the Model 3 looked like now, and there were several different pup-configurations and variations. So it was hard to say for me whether the sellers has listed guitars unaccurately, if there are several variations within the Model 3s, or if the guitars were modded

Comment

check out the 86-88 catalog scans for Model series guitars..... http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm
                courtesy of JCFer jackson1
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                  check out the 86-88 catalog scans for Model series guitars..... http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm
                  courtesy of JCFer jackson1

Awesome, thanks for the link man!

Looks like models 1A, 3 and 3A is what would fit me best

Comment

Charvel Predator might be good for you also.
                    click here for a catalog scan of it: http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...ges/Page26.htm

Comment

check out the 1C, 4, 4A & 4M too
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                        Charvel Predator might be good for you also.
                        click here for a catalog scan of it: http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...ges/Page26.htm

Snap! the one in the pic looks awesome!

What difference does the slanted neck-pup make soundwise?
                        Not too crazy about reverse headstocks, but heck, if the rest of the guitar is awesome, I can live with it

Comment

Dammit Naz, don't mention the Predator! If a Predator pops up around here (Scandinavia) it's MINE MINE!!
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                            Dammit Naz, don't mention the Predator! If a Predator pops up around here (Scandinavia) it's MINE MINE!!
                            Sorry, didn't know that.

I know a guy who used to have a predator. I didn't play the guitar back then, and when I was at his house once me and his son tried to play something on it. And when it was my turn I was afraid to strum on strings hard because I was afraid to tear them . His son told me that he once tore a string and his father was really pissed on him cause it was hard for him to set up a floyd. He sold it few years ago on ebay and now has fender big apple strat or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1

Hehe
                              I don't have the patience to wait for one to pop up tho.. so it's likely that when I have the cash to spend for one, I'll get one from the States or somewhere in Europe

When a Kramer shows up in ads in Scandinavia it seems it's never one of the models I want.. I haven't got the patience for this waiting thing ;p

Comment

Working...
                              X