Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

charvel arrived today! Some questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel arrived today! Some questions...

So, after spending £166 on a model 4 it arrived today. I know that sounds a lot in the US, but welcome to europe. Some dings as advertised but it has it's case. Serial no 226688

So to my first question, can you get new clips for this type of case? The middle 2 are missing, otherwise the case is ok.
    Next question, is it possible to do a patch job on a major ding?

If it needs a respray i'll wait. No cash left.
    Now the big compicated question. It has a Khaler trem which I am new to. Do you just stick the ball ends in and then string up as usual? How do you adjust the tension for different sets of strings? And most importantly (as this seems odd) are the spacings done correcly? The observant will have notices not only is the A fine tuner gunmetal, but the high e string is at a funny angle. Is this on purpose? Oh, and are top 2 screws replacement (dodgy gold colour)

Then i'll actually stick some strings on it!

Nice - its still got the original bar. Great color too.

Stringing - the ball end goes into the string claw right in front of the fine tuner. You want the ball end to sit in the clar in the upright postion - hard to describe - think of the ball end like a ring. You want the ring to be standing on its side within the string claw. Also, before installing the string, bend the wrap in front of the ball end into a gentle curve - imaging it curving over the cam in front of the ball end.

Spring tension can be adjusted with an allen key - its the second whole from the trem bar. The first adjusts arm tension. You can install heavier springs for a more floyd-like feel, but that entails removing the trem.

Spacing - you can adjust this to suit your own taste. Loosen the small allen screw next to the big one on the saddle and move the saddle left and right. The big phillips screw is for intonation - the high e is probably just pulled out too far. Loosen that screw and push it in a bit and it should straiten. The set screw by the roller is for string height. Oil up the rollers with some 3-in-1 so they move freely.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks, I'm all strung up now.

Comment

Well, as long as you're not strung-out! I wouldn't worry about the chips, either. You'd probably pay less to have it refinished than repaired.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just need to get a smaller allen key to slide that high e tuner over. I think that's why it was squint as it's a bit off centre over the rollers.

Comment

For the chips you could get some auto "touch-up" paint. It usually comes with the brush attached to the screw off cap. It is very thin usually but dries real fast and you can "pool" it into the chip. Multiple coats will fill the chip eventually. The best part is that it usually comes in tons of colors so you should be able to match something up fairly decently. Ive done this with a few guitars with good results. Nice guitar!!!

Comment

Good plan. I'll try and find a suitable colour. I think this guitar is cobalt blue, so it probably matches a ford from the 80's.

Comment

All you need to know on the Kahler: http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Nice guitar!
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Great looking guitar. I see you were already helped with the Kahler. I have the same problem as you. I have the same case you have and I am missing one of the latches. It left the same hole in the case that I see on yours. I actually had 2 broken off but one was not lost so I fixed it by getting a small sheet of plastic (Like pickguard material) and cut 2 rectangles a little larger that the hole in the case. I then drilled out the rivets on the latch, drilled holes in the 2 rectangles that line up with the latch holes. I then used 2 small bolts and nuts and put it back together as follows:

bolt---> latch---> rectangle---> [case wall] <---rectangle <---nut

Worked really great. Now I just need to find another latch to replace my missing one. Does anyone know where they could be found? Doesn't have to be the same just the similar size would be good enough.

Hope this helps!!!
                  Guitars:
                  Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                  1988 Model 2,
                  Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                  RR3
                  Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

My model 4 case has simmons on the latches, my model 7 has smb. Looks like simmons got taken over by southco, smb still in business. I found this page
                    http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?hid=7320
                    and the rotary action draw latch looks likea match. Just have to find out wher to buy them. I'll look in the uk, you can do the US!

Comment

The problem with these old cases isn't the latch itself, its the plastic the latch is attached to - it just can't take a good kick.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X