My Jake E Lee Charvel project is almost there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Jake E Lee Charvel project is almost there

It wont be an exact Jake model just a hybrid of some of his guitars.

This is what I started with (CX 291 Strat head)

Now for the paint job

Ive got the charvel logo, drop top hardtail (converts a strat trem into a hardtail), HSS loaded plate, black Gotoh tuners, pearloid buttons and original chrome parts.

Just need the paint to dry properly!!!!!!!!! LOL

All in for under £200, lol

Ive decided that its just too much hassle and expense at this point to get the reverse angled single coil plate made up, so I'm just going for a fully loaded HSS black plate (which I picked up on ebay for £35UK inc ship from Canada, lol) and Im gonna take out the the two tones and move the vol pot to the middle hole and tape up the other two holes and of course put on a white toggle knob. Its close enough for me.

The only problem I might face is fitting the schaller style perloid buttons to the Gotoh tuners. Not got the Gotohs yet.

Cool, man! I really like the idea of using imports to do cool projects like this. Keep us apprised.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Another fan of import modding here! That's going to be a cool axe for sure!
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Very sweet, did you do the paint yourself?
        Make sure you post pics when its all complete, the hardtail should be killer

Comment

My friend (and the other guitarist in my band) who works in a bus(!) painting depot painted it for me for free. A week to paint, I need to leave it for a few weeks to cure.

Still waiting on a few small parts, then I'll start assembling. The only job of any note will be getting the hardtail on correctly.

Comment

its now done, just having the electronics checked. In all honesty its a bit of a haphazzard project, i.e. not 100% perfect, but it plays and sounds like a dream, which is what counts, right? Pics to follow.

Comment

In case you change your mind on the p-up config, here's a guard for pretty cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAKE-E-LEE-PICK-...QQcmdZViewItem

And here's a set of keys that already have pearloid buttons:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schaller-style-t...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

that second link is me!!! lol I wanted black tuners. The chrome ones were a whim and I don't think they would have looked right.

the plate looks very interesting though

Comment

Originally posted by timstar5150
                  its now done, just having the electronics checked. In all honesty its a bit of a haphazzard project, i.e. not 100% perfect, but it plays and sounds like a dream, which is what counts, right? Pics to follow.
                  Let's see some pics then Jake E. Lee rocks and so does his guitars.
                  That's one cool project you're working on!
                  "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

He's finally finished.

I know there are a few issues like logo placement slightly out, no slanted singles (which I might change at a later date), no pearl buttons, but this guitar sounds and plays like an angel.

Enjoy! (I am, lol!)

Comment

Dude, that is one kick-ass guitar!!
                      Not only does it have a humbucker but also a beautiful "Stratty" look, and the black and white colors couldn't be nicer!
                      Congratulations! You'll have tons of fun with this baby, whether you'll be playing through Jake's stuff with Ozzy or Badlands, the man is a guitar-slinging miracle..
                      Congratulations!

Now get out there and ROCK!!
                      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

That came out GREAT!!!!

Congrats!!

Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                        Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

hey.. looks great! enjoy it!

Comment

Working...