No announcement yet.

Help with identification? Any for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with identification? Any for sale?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and really hoping that you can help me.

About 14 years ago I hired a guitar from a little guitar shop. It was a Charvel. The model was never made clear to me. Looking back it felt like it was the best guitar I've ever played. Can someone help identify it and maybe even point me in the direction of one (if anyone in the world has one they're interested in selling!)

It was a superstrat shape, typical of 99% of Charvels.
    I think it was a non-USA model, but with a FT. Worth neckplate.
    There was no pickplate.
    It had the typical 80's/90's Charvel pointy headstock (non-reverse, I THINK)
    The headstock logo was the latter style (i.e. non-toothpaste)
    The headstock was plain black with a white logo.
    The horns of the body were chamferred and not just rounded (difficult to explain, um... if the guitar was stood upright, the bottom of the U shaped cutaways were inclined, not just rounded)
    The neck plate and neck plate area were on an angle, sloping down towards the neck.
    The neck was maple, satin coated from what I can remember, and a typical Charvel radius and shape.
    The hardware was all black, including the trem, which was a Floyd Rose (or licensed).
    The pickups were HSS in configuration and were ALL EMG STYLE (i.e. covered in plain black plastic housings). I cannot remember if they had Jackson printed on them, but I THINK they did.
    The body itself was an orange and black crackle, but the crackle itself didn't seem quite as thick as those that you see on ebay (although maybe that's my memory playing tricks).
    The pickup selector.... ahhh.... I can't remember if it was 3 mini toggles or a 5 way switch (sorry!!!) It could have been either. Hey... it was 14 years ago!

Anyhow, I've seen a few similar crackle Charvels on ebay etc etc but they never have the chamferred cutaways, and I've only ever seen a Charvette with the Orange crackle.

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious guitar. I wish I'd bought it while I had the chance all those years ago!

Cheers in advance,

Paul
    Last edited by paul525715; 07-04-2006, 10:54 AM.

How many frets? Are you 100% positive that both the upper & lower cutaways were beveled? The Fusions had a beveled lower cutaway, but 24 frets and toothpaste logo, and one had the HSS layout. Guitar-shaped logo rather than script (toothpaste)? It almost sounds like a Japan-only model, but I don't think the neckplate would have the Ft. Worth address. Here are some catalog scans to look through:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm

One other thing, read through the forum rules. Basically, you've posted a "want to buy" ad, which is a no-no for new members. Classifieds access is restricted until you've been here for a while to help cut down on spam & abuse of the forum.

Comment

Apologies for the "want to buy". That's cool.

No idea about the amount of frets.

Looking quickly through all the flyers (many thanks) it does look like a fusion custom (1989 jap import/1991 catalogs) and the logo... well, maybe I'm getting confused, but there are two things that don't match with the fusion theory... they weren't hotrails, the single coils were standard Jackson sc's, and also, the headstock was black. I doubt it was a Jap only model though... the shop I saw it in wasn't exactly in a big cosmopolitan area!

Comment

This is a difficult one. The pickup configuration sounds like that of a Model 4 or 475DLX. The model 4 was a full-size strat though, while the 475DLX had the superstrat "dinky" body. Both had covered Jackson pickups - a J50BC humbucker and two singlecoil sized J200 stacked humbuckers. However, the 475 had the "toothpaste logo" of the contemporary series, and AFAIK they didn't have the cutaway bevels(???). I would also go with the Fusion theory, but I don't have much info on those. It is possible that the pickups varied over the years though.

Btw, most C/J guitars that have both cutaways bevelled, are archtops.

Comment

Working...
        X