Model 6 from Down Under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 from Down Under

Hey everyone from the land down under, australia! I'm new here so be nice!!
    Just scored a model 6, serial C900226, from ebay for $150 AU so i duno what that is in US$ maybe $100. it needs new paint, and most likly new harware, but i am having it painted in a few weeks by a mate who owns a spray paint company, so thats cool!!
    Questions are:
    1. i was given a clone floyd rose trem, but no locking nut, and the origonal housing for the locking nut says Kahler pat pen, so finding one might be difficult here in australia, so my question is do i just put a non locking trem on it, or find a nut that fits and lock it? plus, if i use a locking trem, can i tune from E to drop D easy, or is it a real pain??
    2. The origonal pickups came with the guitar, no idea if they work or not, but should i use them or change them? i hear they arent too great, and am willing to change them. If i do, am i able to sell them, say on ebay? will they work without the active boost thing?? should i keep one of the stacked humbuckers for the middle position for something different? How do i test if they work?
    3. Do i need to put anything on the fretboard? it looks a bit old and i think it needs some love, what should i use on it?
    4. Where could i get the electronics and trem covers from?

thats about it, ill post some pics, and ill continue to do so after i get the paint done etc.
    thanks for any help.

Welcome aboard! I'll try to answer a few of your questions, & hopefully some others can help as well. First off, one of the most interesting things is that your guitar has a 1989 serial number, and the Model 6 was replaced in '89 by the 650XL. The headstock logo, control layout, and other features definitely make it a Model 6. Just a pretty cool detail. On to the questions:

1: I'd absolutely go with a full double-locking trem system on the guitar. Even though yours didn't cost you much and it's seen better days, it's a really well-made instrument with tons of potential. Well worth it to put the best trem you can afford on there, like a real Floyd or Schaller. As far as drop-D tuning, you can block the trem so that it is set to dive only, then it's no problem to go to drop-D without throwing the other strings out of whack. You can add an EVH D-tuna to make it easier, but some trems have enough range in the fine-tuners that you don't really need one.

2: The original pickups (J50BC in the bridge and 2 J200s) sound best with the active midboost and were designed to work with it or one of the other Jackson active systems. The J200s will sound particularly weak without it. I'd look into replacing all the pickups. Again, worth it, imo.

3: Lemon oil is the most common thing used to treat a rosewood board. Most hardware stores carry it, & even some supermarkets here have it by the furniture polish. Dab it on sparingly with a clean cloth, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off. I do mine every 6 months or so. If its really dirty & gunked up, there is a topic on dealing with that here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

4: For small stuff like the mini-switches (you'll need SPDT on-on switches), there are online places like guitarelectronics.com, Stewmac, and Allparts that carry them, but I've actually been lucky and found the correct black ones cheaper at a local electronics shop and used ones at Fretsonthenet (see below). Finding the JE-1200 midboost (if you want it) will be a bit trickier. They pop up on eBay sometimes.

Cavity covers, oversize pickup rings (if you swap out the hum), and lots of other great stuff like replacement trem posts, used parts (even mini-switches) can be found here:

http://www.fretsonthenet.net

The site is run by a great guy named Dave, who is a member here (Budman68). I'm almost positive that he ships worldwide.

Hope some of this helps you, & best of luck w/ your Model 6. I think you're gonna love it once it's done. Mine is still one of my favorite guitars, and I can't see ever parting with it!
    Last edited by dg; 07-03-2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The 650XL did come out in 89, but Model 6's were still being made earlier in the year, and the last ones, like this one and my friend's one, featured a Floyd style Kahler locknut. It's very much like a Floyd nut and would probably be easiest to replace with a nice Schaller made R3 nut, seeing as you don't have the lock nuts for it.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the responses, i have all the original controls, switches and even the midboost system, i have just taken them all off the guitar, so i guess i got lucky in that sence.
        I will try and find the lock nut, and i will take the trem to my guitar tech and see what he thinks, otherwise ill ebay it along with the pickups and use that to buy a better one.
        Glad to see i have a special model 6, one of the later ones makes it interesting.
        If anyone else has idea, please let me know, ie pickup config, i have a seymore duncan jb in my jackson js-20 and i like it, so i might put one in the model 6 too, along with a SD single coil i have, but nothing for the middle yet, maybe put the single in the middle and a hot rail in the neck.
        Cheers!

Comment

Welcome. I actually love the original pickups and the mid-boost system. And I also have an '88 Model 6 with the Floyd nut (like yours) too. Great price on that one, especially in Australia.
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Yea, i got a real steal!!
            I'll probly end up selling the pickups and mid boost all in 1 ebay sale, maybe even on US ebay, or if someone wants them on here etc, always happy to help someone out. What they worth roughly? no idea, never seen them on Aus Ebay.
            I'm really looking forward to doing this guitar up, pickups almost sorted, paint being done soon, then just gotta put it all together and i have a neck thru beast!

Comment

Careful, newb...can't sell anything til you're a full member (huh huh)

BTW 150 AU = $111.84
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Now that I see Ron's currency conversion, I can say that you got a hell of a deal, stripped paint notwithstanding.
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

If you want the original pups I found these.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

WRT to pickups, I put a Duncan Custom in mine with a Hot Rails in the neck and I love it. I rarely if ever use th middle pickup & keep it low & out of the way.

Comment

It's hard to find a good deal on a Model 6 down here now days. Most people take a look at them and immediately assume they're a Soloist.

I stumbled across an Aussie site that was selling a few for over $1k each...
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I have the original Pup's, thanks scotty, even got the mid boost controls, ill post pics of exactly what i got later today.
                        I know the site you mean Sanctuary, they have 2, both for over 1k, bit rich, but the feel of the guitar feels its worth twice that!
                        Can the hot rails do a good clean sound? When i play by myself, i often play alot of clean sound type songs, hence why i really want a single coil in the mix somewhere, but like most people the middle pup can get in the way of my pick.

Comment

Here is what aussies want for these model 6's and various other charvels/ jacksons
                          Enjoy.................................or shiver in disbelief!
                          http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/Jackson.htm

Comment

I figured you guys were talking about Guitar Crazy. They aren't a true indication of what folks pay for Jacksons & Charvels in Oz. That's why those same guitars have been for sale on their site for years now.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Good point VG, people dont pay that much for them, but they might pay around that mark in stores. Good to see some aussies on the site!!

Comment

Working...
                              X