Comment

Re: Model 2 and a half eerie dess

That is awesome!!!!!!!!

Comment

Awesome guitar!

Comment

looks really cool. did you do the job yourself, or was that the original finish? I actually cannot believe the second thing, so, where did you get that finish?

harrald

Comment

This was a 1986 Charvel Model 2 in pearl white. The neck is now a one piece maple strat head with black mini schallers. The pickup is a SD Jeff Beck, and the Kahler is the one it was supplied with. I didn't do the re-spray, my sister in law did. After months of writing to people for help with the technique, she finally decided to work it out for herself; everyone she asked for help or information refused, stating that it was a trademarked secret. So hats off to my sister in law Vera, who worked the whole thing out herself and did the whole design by hand. So, no longer eerie dess, it's now Vera dess!!

Sean.

Comment

That's cool as hell!! So is she gonna fill us in on how she did it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              By the way, it looks like you could use one of my charvel rings cut for the duncan.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->

[ August 11, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SEAN RAFFERTY:
                I didn't do the re-spray, my sister in law did. After months of writing to people for help with the technique, she finally decided to work it out for herself; everyone she asked for help or information refused, stating that it was a trademarked secret.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So (AHEM!) what better way for her to get her revenge than to have you post the technique here for all of us....
                [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that seems to me a really good idea! maybe she would enlighten our knowledge, because it seems to me as somethething really cool for my charvel as well!

harrald

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAFFERTY:
                  I didn't do the re-spray, my sister in law did. After months of writing to people for help with the technique, she finally decided to work it out for herself; everyone she asked for help or information refused, stating that it was a trademarked secret.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So (AHEM!) what better way for her to get her revenge than to have you post the technique here for all of us....
                  [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Looks great! Is Vera taking orders?

Comment

The effect is achieved by using the right paints, namely candy/transluscent paints. I'll explain as best I can how Vera did this.

The guitar was originally pearl white, or rather a yellowed pearl white like most eighties Charvels are. The first job was to lightly sand down the original finish, just enough to take the shine away. The guitar then received two coats of black paint. On top of this now black finish, a pearl silver paint was applied by hand. This is done in a variety of ways, cling film (saran wrap?), tin foil, scrunched up newspaper, whatever you want really to create your own pattern or mess. The point is, the silver pearl is messed up over the black, creating gaps in the finish where you can still see the original black paint. You could create any pattern you liked, it doesn't have to be some random mess. You could polka dot it, stripe it, draw your mother on it, it doesn't matter as long as there is a contrast between the black and pearl silver. At this early stage Vera was tempted to lacquer the guitar as it was, as it looked so good. When I figure out what a URL code is, I'll post some pictures of it at this stage too (thanks again Gary for re-posting this thread).
                      Next is the application of the candy/transluscent paints. I bought four colours; red, yellow, green and blue. At this stage, you just work out which is going to be the dominant colour you want your guitar to be, in my case, purple,and then apply accordingly. These paints remain see-through, no matter how much you apply, they just get deeper in colour. When you apply blue over green, you get turquoise, red over blue you get purple etc. So you get the colours as deep or as light as you like. Throughout all of this candy application, the original black and silver mess remains visible, which is your pattern. Last job is the lacquer, in this case about 6 coats, which as I've now found out, is too much. The reason it's too much is because the final job is to then take some fine grade wet or dry paper to the finish to flat it. It just makes it hard work trying to get rid of a slight ripple in the finish that is under 6 coats of clearcoat. When the finish is flatted/dulled, you then use a finishing compound (3M Finesse it) to bring up the shine. That's it! Vera has already resprayed another Charvel strat body for me in a slightly different pattern, I just have to do the final finishing described above. This guitar will have the original Model 2 neck fitted to it.
                      The cost of the paints (everything including lacquer, candies, black paint, thinners, pearl silver etc) cost £100. I had to buy minimum quantities of 1/4 litre. There is enough left (excluding the black paint) to do another 50 guitars! I'm thinking of doing our front door and window frames in it.

Sean.

Comment

That looks great! Your sister-in-law is very talented!

I don't know how much time is involved, but I bet you two could make a pretty penny selling refins like you did with Vera. If you have enough left to do 50
                        guitars, you could fuel a lot of G.A.S.!

Well done!

Rich
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

well, when I have time, I will do my model 6 in the same way you did with that model 2, it looks stunning! the only problem in my case will be the neck, but I will sort that out.

thanks a lot sean!!

harrald

[ August 12, 2003, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

Harrald,
                            The neck on your Model 6 shouldn't be a problem. As long as you mask off the white binding along the fretboard and head stock, it should be easy to do. In fact, it's the sort of design you want to carry on throughout the guitar. Just spend time preparing your guitar, the paint bit is easy in comparison. The guitar pictured took about 3 days to do. Vera was nervous about ruining the look of the guitar. The second guitar she did in less than a day...she doesn't give a f..k now!

Sean.

Comment

thanx. well one of the main problems is, that de laque on one small part of the binding (upper side) near the hadstock has come off, about 0,25 square cm, so the entire laque layer has to be stripped off, or it won't be a "perfect" job. actually the guitar was in pretty bad shape when I got it (something the seller did not tell), but I am working on it!

harrald

Comment

Working...
                              X