WHOOO HOOOO...750XL!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHOOO HOOOO...750XL!!!!!!!!

I have quite a few options actually, EMG 81 or 85, SD Screamon Demon, 59's, SH-14, SH-5, SH-11 Dimarzio's SD, PAF combo etc..I have a bunch sitting about.

I heard the Pearly Gates on the Seymour website and while I believe that is the base pickup, or the first one they use to test.. it really sounded the most open to me. By open, it just seemed not compressed and real, not overly peaked in any particular freq, just smooth and balanced. I thought in comparison to the other pups it did the best job of providing a genuine sound. There were others I liked..and I listened to them all, but this one struck me the best.

The plus I thought has a little more output and edge and one popped up used on eBay..yellow. Well, the center of the sunburst is yellow... I thought it might look ok if I ghot one with yellow bobbins, and maybe a red one to contrast inthe neck. Better than black. I was also pondering chrome p/u rings, but they probably wouldn't look to cool as the tuners are black. Maybe a black anodized piece instead.

The p/u in there sounds lifeless, just no bite. Dialing gain isn't usually a problem in my rigs.
    Being it's a thick mahagony body, I chose this.

Comment

I like guitars with lots of treble (my main axe is an all-maple Hamer Californian w/ebony board and EMG's, how much more treble does one get?). As the 750XL has a mahogany body it might sound different anyway. So I thought of a Dimarzio Super Distorion in the bridge, and a Super 2 in the neck position. Anyone tried these in a 750XL? (And yes, mine has the Charvel/Schaller FR trem, not recessed, because that's the way I like it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). Maybe I will end up with an all-maple custom Jackson someday (I must admit I am not a shredder player though, but I love trebly clean sounds as well)...

Comment

I haven't tried it yet..most guys are loading emgs. I'd probably try an APC next.

Comment

Working...
        X