Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHOOO HOOOO...750XL!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mariner99:
    It's a neck-thru and the perfect companion to my 650 XL! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a set neck [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? So they did all the machining after the neck was set into the body?

Dave-&gt;
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

actually, i wanted to ask it before, is it a set neck or a neck through, but I remembered it was a set neck.

harrald

Comment

Having (almost) gotten over my embarrassment at mistakenly proclaiming it to be a neck-thru, I gotta repeat budman68's question - how do they do that?! Mine won't arrive until Thursday, but I don't see anything in the pics that remotely resembles a neck joint! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Glue... fill.. sand.. finish.. tada!

You don't see the seams from the body wings on a neck-thru why would you see them in a set neck?

Comment

Hey John,
            Would you happen to have a pic of an unfinished and separated neck and body of this type joint? What kind of joint is it? Is a dovetail or a mortise and tenon maybe? Also, do you know why they switched from the neck-thru's? Cheaper to manufacture maybe?

Being a bit of a woodworker I'm very curious to know.
            Thanks!
            Dave-&gt;

[ July 12, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
            Dave ->

Comment

The reason they went with a set neck is for the LesPaul vibe. Mahogany neck/body with a Maple cap (at least for flamed tops.. I'm not sure about the solid finishes), setneck etc.. They might even have the Gibson scale length.

From the 89 Charvel Catalog.

"Mahogany set neck construction with arched tops make the 750XL a sonic knockout. Capable of the traditional sustaining roars associated with set neck mahogany instruments, this guitar also offers todays brighter tones."

If your interested about set neck construction, check out the book I posted about in another thread.. he builds a cool setneck Strat that has no heel whatsoever. And most of the plans I have seen use a mortise and tenon joint. (Side note: The early twin pickup, dual cutaway LesPaul Jr's/Specials had a very weak neck joint.. routing out for the neck pickup carved out most of the tenon.)

One of these days I'm gona start building my own guitar... I have a few 120+ year old chunks of mahogany from a fireplace mantel to use.

[ July 12, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

damn, I want one! (750) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] it sounds just like the perfect match between a les paul and a superstrat, something I am looking for (as well)

harrald

Comment

Hey thanks for the info John! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                  Dave ->

Comment

My 750XL has an obvious neck joint. Its set in like a Les Paul has but has that rounded body lip under the heal of the neck. The pups on mariners
                    750 looks like a neck thru and shorter scale too.
                    The pups are really close together even though they are the over sized Jackson pups they still look a bit closer than mine. Wheren't some of these neck thru and 243/4" scale?
                    Gil

Comment

Mine is a string thru.. 24.75 scale, as I believe they all were.

Comment

I've been after one of these for a while,so imagine my surprise and delight when I walk into the local music shop on Saturday, and there amongst the plywood-for-retards BCs,is a beautiful tigerstripe one. The downside - the bastards want £700 for it! (That's about $1100) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a 750XL too, my only Charvel guitar so far. It still has the original Jackson pickups in it (the small type with exposed coils), which I don't like that much. Mine is a cherry sunburst one, and I think the neck is maple and not mahogany.

Comment

That sounds the same as mine. I do not care for the Jackson pups either..at least in the bridge. I'm putting in a yellow Duncan Pearly Gates plus.
                            Does yours have a floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
                              That sounds the same as mine. I do not care for the Jackson pups either..at least in the bridge. I'm putting in a yellow Duncan Pearly Gates plus.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hope you like the Pearly Gates Plus. I have one in my Fender (they only come in Fenders, so I'm curious as to how you're getting one, and a yellow one, too), and they're brighter and have more gain than the regular Pearly Gates. It's a pretty good pup, but at times could use a little more low end in my alder Fender, IMO. It will probably be a little better in your mahogany body, though.

[ July 20, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes it is a maple neck on the 750XL's andmine has a Floyd. You can order the PG plus from Fender as a seperate item without the guitar around it. Its in the 2003 frontline as available as such. As far as yellow theywould probably do a
                                specail order for it from Fender. I put s Custom Custom in the bridge of mine and the little biotch sounds like a PRS now. It was a perfect match for mine along with the J50 in the neck its perfect.
                                Gil

Comment

Working...
                                X