Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 6...Anyone ever see these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel Model 6...Anyone ever see these?

For the record, my 86 model 6 is heavier and has a different neck profile than the others.

Kevin
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

This one has a headstock stamp, I have 2 87's 703374 is stamped on the headstock, 703385 is stamped after the last fret of the neck so the change may be within these 11 or so numbers....
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine is 703606 - stamped headstock... very odd... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Doc, you seem to be the only one that has seen one of these! Any chance you have a pic of it?
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
          For the record, my 86 model 6 is heavier and has a different neck profile than the others.

Kevin
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My Model 6 was kinda heavy, too. It was made of poplar. The Model series also did have two different neck profiles. My Model 6 had a thin profile like my Model 5A, but there are others out there with slightly thicker, rounder necks.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think the weight would have more to do with the fact that it is neck-thru maple(which is a very heavy wood), wouldn't it? Since there would be more maple in the Model 5 and 6 due to their neck-thru construction, it seems like they would naturally be heavier than the bolt-on models.

Comment

Actually my 86 model 6 is heavier than my 87 model 6 by a noticeble amount. My 2002 sl3 is even lighter
              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

I am the original owner of an '87 Model 6 - has no "lip" routs, sticker serial number on back of headstock, black toggle switches, and came with a JT6 trem... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't put the weight difference down to different years--weight can vary a lot in production guitars depending on the specific slabs of wood used--i.e.; one piece of maple/poplar can weigh more/less than another, even on consecutively numbered instruments.

That said, I have found the '86 Model 5/6 to be better players than those from later years. I owned an '86 Model 5 that was a gem that, unfortunately, had a warped neck (why I sold it off to a pawnshop). It had a nicer feeling neck than later Model guitars I've played, or my current 650xl for that matter. And I've played '86 Model 6's that had some of the nicest necks I've ever felt, including some with very thin necks. My old Model 5 had a fairly thick neck, but it had a very unique, almost squarish, profile that is unlike any other J/C I've ever played. If it wasn't for the Kahler (ok, but not my preference), I would own nothing but '86 Model 5/6 guitars.

Comment

Working...
                  X