Model 2 gets a DiMarzio....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model 2 gets a DiMarzio....

Well IMO the emg 81 thru a solid state amp sounds a bit sterile.It depends on amp tho' The peavey ultra and xxl heads work well.I have an 81 in a model 2 and play thru a 5150 2x12 combo,and the 81 shines. Great highs, good bottom end and tight mids.I have an 86 fender 1 hum strat beater with a dimarzio evolution and harmonics jump out some times when you dont expect them to. Great tone but very touchy when it comes to string height.I would say if you want 80's harmonics try a sd custom or custom 5.I have a sd custom in a 87 usa jackson and am very pleased it sounds outstanding thru every amp I've played thru.It wails on the dirt and cleans up when you back down the vol.I've got tons of pickups but the sd custom is staying in the jackson.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's an update on my pickup status with the Super Distortion. I should receive the "ASSCLOWN" award for this. The problem was that I wired it in wrong. It was grounded good so I couldn't tell. I'm not dyslexic, but thats how I wired it. I decided to keep it. I think the DiMarzio Super Distortion makes a good addition to my collection. Anyone looking for a pickup that sounds decent wired backwards and excellent wired the right way should check it out. Duuuuuh. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

that's classic! Glad it worked out for you SARJ. I thought you'd already sent the SD back for the Evolution.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Sarj...Let me GUESS...You had it wired with the Seymour Duncan configuration, and by DOING so...Only ONE SIDE was working !!!

...RIGHT ???

Ya GOTTA REMEMBER...If BOTH use the green and shield as a ground...Duncans use the BLACK for the HOT WIRE...and DiMarzios use the RED...

Comment

Thats what happened. As a man and proud of it, I feel I know everything and didn't read the instructions. All I had ready to send off was an empty box. I think I posted that it was on the way earlier, but lately I'm in no hurry to do anything. By the way Doc, your setup on the Model 2 hasn't gone South on me and it still wails. Especially since the pickup is rewired. You are still DA MAN!

Comment

Hey cool deal about the pickup... put one in my model 2 also with a split pot so i can go single coil with it too. Definately soundds good and has ample power.

Comment

After it got re-wired I was shocked. Now it's at home. My favorite pickup is and always will be the Seymour Duncan Distrotion. The Super adds a little vintage to the sound so you can get some cool Iron maiden tones out of it. It sounds great when divebombing. Solos come alive. It's very warm. I feel like a dork after saying it was the greatest mainly because it sounded alot better than what I had, but then after getting to know it better I posted about how bad it sucked and then got it worked on and found out I hooked it up wrong and now it's all good. Geesh! You live and you learn. I was never a big gear head in the past. Just plug in and go. Now that I'm getting old I can't stand not to customize something. You should see my gun collection!

Comment

If I had a THIN DIME for EVERY TIME I PERSONALLY was WRONG...I would OWN Tracy's collection TEN TIMES OVER !!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think i read there that you've got the mids scouped on all your gear, unscoupe them. Mids are what makes harmonics squeal, you need them!

Also, from personal experiance Alnico magnet pickups produce better harmonics than ceramic magenets.

Comment

I'm slowly putting the mids back into my rig. I was jamming with some friends last night and they kept telling me to turn it up. I looked down at my EQ and said, "the hell with it" and turned the mids up a little. After a while I turned em up more and then more. After that I mixed in well. I started listening to alot of my favorite bands and studied the sounds. I got bit by the nu-metal bug and the scooped sound. You live and you learn. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dryer:
                        If I had a THIN DIME for EVERY TIME I PERSONALLY was WRONG...I would OWN Tracy's collection TEN TIMES OVER !!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doc, I am soooo wrong! Send Tracy Jenkins' collection to me!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X