Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend good replacement p/ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can anyone recommend good replacement p/ups?

Ok, my case:

I asked everyone here in the forum a while ago on what to use to replace my stock Jackson pickups. I have a Charvel 650xl, which is a S/S/H. A lot of people came forward suggesting a JB for the bridge. However, I had read so many great things about the EMG 81 that I decided to try that. The job I did on mine was:

1) Pulles out EVERYTHING that came stock.
    2) Got a set of three SA's very similar to the David Gilmour combination including the EXG guitar Expander (i got this for $60, you cant beat that!)
    3) Got an EMG 81 and for the bridge

The result:

Amazing clean sounds on the neck and middle. To me it sounds like the celans from a fender strat, which I find great (but their dirstotions suck). The 81 is great, and clear. All the distortion you could need is there.

Also I have to say that EMG's support is fantastic!... they hage gone out of their way helping me re-wire.

This was a fun project, you should try it.

Comment

Go for EMG's.
      I've got both 81 and 85's and for that -80's sound I'd try the 85. I've got an 85 in my Dinky and it sound great!

JT

Comment

I got a mix breed setup in my DK2 which is H/S/S. I have a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge, stock Duncan Design in the middle and a DiMarzio HS-2 in the neck. I get the heavy distorted 80's sound from the bridge as well as the sucked mids, PRS/Boogie sound of nu-metal. I use the middle and split the bridge for the exagerated wah sound when using my wah pedal and the HS-2 in the neck is amazing for clean stuff as well as blues. I'd have to say the HS-2 is the best neck pickup I have ever heard. It's a single coil sized stacked humbucker. I just wired em in stock. I am having a blast with pickup replacements right now. Next I will have an EMG 81/85 set put into something. I was thinking one of the Kramer Imperial axes in flat black. I think that Doc's idea sounded great. I wouldn't know what to do with over 40 pickup variations, but I would find a use for them in time.

Comment

Wll I'll toss in my 02 cents
          Emg 81 and 2 hi singles now what the hi means I'm not sure but they were sold as a set by EMG.
          I installed this set up in an 88 model six and the singles were very clean and clear and take being overdriven nicely not muddy at all.The 81 flat screams.I used the jackson mid boost control as orginally intented. This set up is perfect for the neck thru model six very clean,string definition is amazing.Now make sure you play with the pickup height to find the right spot it takes a while but well worth the time.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

HEy Doc. With two volumes and a three on off switches Isnt that kind of redundant? I mean the volumes and the switches will do the same thing no? Turn the pickup on and off? Although you would have the added lowered volume and full volume senario But its still kinda redundant.
            Amyway. For the 80's metal go with a JB or a Custom Custom, or a Full Shred. All have great tone and are good on harmonics and have 4 conductor wireing for alternative switching. I have a Dean BelAire Thats been really modded. I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge added two mini swtiches to it. I can split it and I can put it out of phase. So it can be split in or out of phase or as a humbucker in or out of phase. The with the added Duncan Vintage staggered singles in neck and middle in combination with the bridge I can this guitar to sound more like a Strat than my Fender Strat or be all out nasily and harsh like a wah filter or just balls out heavy distortion and everything in between.
            Its a great extremely versatile combo. I forgot to mention i have on off switches for all three pups. You can do the same thing with a JB a Full Shred or a Custom Custom and it sounds great either way. I find EMG's to be to sterile sounding but thats just my tatse.
            Just my two cents for what iots worth.
            Gil

Comment

I've got Jackson J-90 and J-90C's in mine. Awesome sounding.

Comment

Jacksonfreak, Docs setup with volumes and switches do not cancel each oher out, because the idea is that not only can you select exactly what pickups youre using and whether they are split or not (switches), but you can also adjust the balance (different volumes) between pickups, giving you more or less of the tone colour of that particular pickup.

Comment

Pickups. I try to refrain from these posts because unlike most of the memebers here im not a total metal head. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE metal. But... since you are asking for opinions and opinionsa are like a$$holes(everyone has them)heres mine. Neck and middle singles should be JOE BARDEN dual blad strat deluxes. These things aare so f'n versatile it kills me. ?Nails hendrix on the neck, together nailes SRV, want a PHAT neck pup spund raise it up high. They are very sensitive to height adjustment and are very hifi. To me, that means they can hang with my marshalls and fender tweeds, and crush with my big muff or ds1 when getting down and dirty. The only negative about the Bardens are they are REALLY expensive. 130 a pop. BUT I SWEAR THEY ARE WORTH IT.

Now, the bridge pup is another story. In humbucker land there are sooooo many choices. I can only relate to things i have experience with. Im a blues /rock player. I cant shred because i suck so I dont play maiden/yngwie/slayer etc. But i love that stuff. Anyway, i just got a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Evenly Voiced Harmonics Pup. this thing reads at 9.05k dc and ROCKSS. I have no experience witha duncan JB in terms of actually playing one , but a friend has one and he rips with it. GOOD luck.

The problem with pick ups is they are like women. You find one you like for a bit then get bored and switch them out. Just dont ask one to marry you!Then you are stuck in hell

Comment

If you like Megadeth, use a JB model. If u like Metallica, then an EMG is the way to go. If you like the over all grab the balls tone, stick with old faithful...the Jackson J-90.

Comment

i'm the owner of charvel 6 and 650xl also(which they are similar guitars).My tastes are still in metal but i'm into rock too.A good choice for me are dimarzio super distortion and tone zone(the second sounds more real to me,and with better eq).Itgives on this guitar a natural and balanced sound. As for EMG ihave some objections.i yhink that active pickups cover a lot,the true potentials and dynamics of a really very good guitar like this one that you own. as for the Duncan'si tested the distortion parallel axis,and JB but the result wasn;t very satisfying.

Comment

Working...
                      X