Trying to ID my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to ID my guitar

Ok, I picked this up at a pawn shop a little while ago for a pretty good deal ($250 Canadian, with a Kahler Pro and an EMG-81, neck in good condition, little fretwear, though the Kahler had a partially broken string hook and the stringlock was a little worn).

As far as I can tell, it's a Model 2. Single humbucker, Maple/Rosewood bolt-on neck with the "guitar" logo, rear routed body. However, from what I've seen, model 2's only have a single volume control. Mine has routing for a volume, a tone and three mini-switches.

So, I don't know whether someone installed the extra controlls for extra pickup options, or whether it originally had multiple pickups, but one of the previous owners had them filled in.

I don't know the original bridge, though it was a Kahler 2-post bridge (the pivot studs were still in the guitar and it has a kahler string lock). One of the previous owners also had a Kahler Pro flatmount bridge installed (looks like they did it themselves, the routing was pretty amateur).

If it helps at all, the serial number on the neckplate is 255767.

Re: Trying to ID my guitar

The neck pocket might say what model it was. Pickup fill-ins are usually easy to spot with a solid color body, as very few are done flawlessly.
    Then again it's not uncommon for someone to load a single-hum up with various items to get the full use out of it - Tone, Inner/Outer Coil tapping, Phasing with itself, Kill Switches, etc.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, it looks like a japanese character followed by a "2". So, could I infer that I've got a model 2?

Comment

Everything you've described makes it sound like a modded Model 2.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like a modded 86 model 2.

Comment

Ok, cool.

Now I've got some major work to do on it. I'm trying to install an Original Floyd, but the neck angle requires massive shimming and raising the bridge a quarter inch above the body to get the strings to not touch the fretboard.

This is going to be interesting (I'm thinking I'll be putting it off for the next few months).

Comment

Are the original post holes that are there the right distance apart for a floyd? If so then the original bridge was not a kahler but a jt6, and the stringlock could be a jt6 lock too. They look similar.

Comment

I may be mistaken, but wouldn't the neck pocket be angled to accomodate a Kahler tremolo just as it would a JT-6/Floyd?
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah, the posts were the right distance apart for the Floyd (though I plugged the old holes and drilled new ones, as the old ones were larger).

I would have thought the neck pocket would have been fine, but, aparently, it's not. I don't know why, or what I have to do to fix it (like whether it's a simple truss rod adjustment or not).

Why is it that I can never find a good guitar that I can afford, that'll do what I need, and not break a month after I get it?

Comment

The original neck could have been swapped for a non-trem version and the nut added later (don't ask me why), thus the heel would have been cut more shallow than it should be for a floating trem.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X