Mr. Stiffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Stiffy

Is it just me?? My 650XL has a Schaller, running 3 springs all parallel, blocked trem, and 10's. It is one stiff mofo. It plays stiff too. I've tried loosening tension and then the Schaller won't sit flush. I've got it adjusted where it can stay tuned and be as easy to use as possible. Still, it's tough to bend, use the trem, and she breaks a string a gig! Seems there's alot of tension on my 650.

Is this normal? Is this due to 24 fret scale? Type of trem? My Fusion Special isn't as tight and my mutt sticker San Dimas clone with a Wilkinson operates like butter. All have 10's.

Re: Mr. Stiffy

Try a sort of W or V shape with the springs, it should feel alot looser and springy.

Have a read HERE
    http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stiff.htm

Comment

Well, the biggest difference between the 650xl and the Fusion is the scale difference. I find that a 25.5" tuned to E flat is pretty close to a 24.75" tuned to standard. Since your other 25.5" scale guitar has a Wilkinson, that would be reason for noticing a big difference, too. Try the different spring arrangements and if that doesn't work, hit the gym a little more often. It should seem easier when you get stronger. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, my Model 6 (forerunner to the 650) is pretty stiff also. It is stiffer than the 750XL (which is short scale, like the Fusion). It is also noticably stiffer than my RR-X which has the same scale length, but a thinner bolt-on neck. I imagine that a thick neck would feel a lot stiffer than a thinner one.

I just love the guitar and the neck profile though, and playing it for a few months now has done wonders for my vibrato.

Comment

I had the springs in a W before. I'll try again. It sounds like this is the way it's gonna feel. Oh well.. I had to ask.

Comment

I've got a Charvel 475 with a blocked Schaller too, but I'm only using two springs, placed in a V shape. It doesn't feel stiff at all.

Comment

Hmmmm.. I don't think 2 will hold mine down. Seems I've tried that trick before. I'll try it again with next string change.

Comment

Go down to two springs. Yes, it works just fine--I've done that in a number of Floyded guitars that were too stiff. In fact, I may have even done that in a 650xl I once had. Springs vary a lot in the amount of tension they have. It could be that the springs in your guitar haven't been worked out enough to loosen up. In addition to going to two springs, consider doing some fun Vai-like 'trem abuse' to work on the springs a bit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hmmmm.. I don't think 2 will hold mine down. Seems I've tried that trick before. I'll try it again with next string change.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should. You'll just have to adjust the spring claw closer into the body to adjust for the reduction in spring tension, just as you would if you changed tunings.

Comment

Thanks! I will try it for sure. I'm not so gun shy of messing with it since I've now got it blocked.

Comment

I tried the 2 spring V last night but no luck. I cranked the claw tight against the body and still had 1/16" gap when tuned to E-flat. But it was easier to use and I could pretend I was Vai.

I had to put 3 springs back on, reset the claw, and tune to E. Now I've got a stiffy again[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X