Is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal?

There is an old Charvel 425 (I think...might be a 475, I don't remember) for sale at my local guitar center. It looks exactly like this one here http://wykid66.tripod.com/photo/index.album?i=8&s=1
    It's in fine condition, but I don't think the Jackson trem is set up. The tuning could still be changed by the normal tuning pegs, and the trem itself had no whammy action, it didn't budge. On sale for 249.99, used of course, and I could trade in my old guitar.

Should I take it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Is this a good deal?

YES!

It's a great deal.

Comment

Oh yeah it doesn't come with the whammy bar itself either, are those a problem to acquire these days?

Comment

No, the bars are fairly easy to acquire. They use a collar-type arm that fits both the Schaller and Original Floyd Rose. Many larger stores stock them, and you can get them online from StewMac or Allparts.

Comment

It's not an OFR. It's a licensed floyd with Jackson's name on it.

Comment

I'd guess the bridge wouldn't keep the tuning, so the last owner felt compelled to completely block it, essentially turning it into a fixed bridge.

If you want to use the trem, you're probably looking at some extra costs in making it functional again. If you're unlucky the trem and the posts need replacing, in which case the deal isn't quite as awesome any longer.

You should definitely ask questions about the guitar and inquire about the trem. Ask to see the back of the trem cavity - the trem is probably blocked there. I'd be a bit cautious if I was you.

Comment

Working...
            X