Model 5 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 questions

Around how much do these go for? How would you guys compare/rate the standard humbuckers to something like an EMG 85? I appreciate your help once again.

Re: Model 5 questions

About $350. Pickups dont have alot of range to them, the EMGs are much better, but they still arent bad..............

Comment

Thanks. Contrary to popular belief I find EMGs really versatile once you realize you have a volume knob on your guitar. Of course they have a completely different sound than passive pickups and I respect people who prefer passives. I always liked EMGs.
      So I should be able get one in good condition and case? I actually prefer Kahlers over Floyds. Are the Kahlered versions cheaper or more expensive?

Comment

Kahler and Floyded models tend to be about the same for Model 5s. The earlier ones had Kahlers, so thats what you need..................

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          About $350. Pickups dont have alot of range to them, the EMGs are much better, but they still arent bad..............

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there more now? Prices have risen sharply for the Model series... I really wanted to get one recently, but they go for so much now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I would be down for up to 400 dollars if it has a case and Kahler, and if it is in a good condition. Don't know if I would go higher though...

Comment

I´m pretty sure that model 5s and 6s are currently starting to become coveted and are going for over 500$ for the most part...still a great deal, but only aboutr 3-5oo less than a USA Soloist of the same period...

Here in Germany they´re already starting to go for about 600€ sometimes, that´s almost 1k... makes it even cooler that I paid under 400$ for my 6 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer Model 5s because of the H H pup configuration. People are starting to realize the quality of stuff that was produced in Japan especially in the early to mid 80s.

Well, my point being... I like Hanneman and Model 5s are still the best deal for a "Jeff Hanneman signature" guitar out there. I don't like ESP/LTD guitars, Model 5s with Kahlers go cheaper than even the new LTD signature line and hell they are even MORE accurate. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would rather pay 350-500 to a Model 5, than getting the new inaccurate LTD JH-600 or paying top dollar for a real ESP Hanneman. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I paid $400 for a 5FX 6 months ago. I didn't like the factory humbucker at all. I needed to tweak the EQ on my amp and use a GE-7 to get it to sound nice. I swapped it for a Swineshead Warthog (Basicallly a higher output screamin' demon) which is pretty cool, but still a bit too high output for me.

Comment

I just got a 5fx for $425 with case all original,however the pickups aren't my cup of tea either so I'll need to upgrade,probabaly duncn disytortion or custom78 in the bridge and a good old twangy single coil in the neck ala SRV but who knows.

Comment

I meant duncan distortion,I need to check my spelling next time. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought a couple Model 5's in the last couple of months, and didn't pay anywhere near $400 for either for them, though they are most definitely worth that. I'd much rather have a Model series than any of the newer Korean made Schecters and LTD's.

Comment

Hey Lex!

Where did you get them? ebay or somewhere else?

I would much rather have a Model Series than a Korean made guitar yes.

Comment

I really love my '86 Model 5. I wouldn't trade it for anything, well almost anything. I agree that EMGs sound better than the stock PUPs, but I still like the original sound alot. I only have H-H guitars. Anything else looks weird to me since I've been playing with this config since the mid 80's.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hey Lex!

Where did you get them? ebay or somewhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one at a pawnshop, and the other from a buddy's music store.

Comment

Working...
                              X