My Model Series Bastads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Model Series Bastads!

I call em bastads cos they aint pure nohow and neither's my english! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The best thing about the Model series IMHO are how they play, otherwise known as the necks, but I sometimes prefer a TOM style bridge which they never made..so I improvised:

The 1st is a "Charvel HX" with the body from a Jackson HX, neck from a Model 4 which I parted out (yeah, that's right..parted...wanna fight about it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

The 2nd is a maple fingerboard from I think a Model 1 that someone had platformed and drilled for a Floyd nut that took some doweling to fill up, as well as shimming the nut area up before regluing the original nut. I have no idea what manufacturer the body is from (Do you?), but it's decent (from Ebay). Looks like an alder top with binding on a mahogany back, that is a few pieces glued together.
    I got the body 1st and it beckoned for a Maple fingerboard which I usually stray from, but I'm diggin this one.

"Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Re: My Model Series Bastads!

Very cool! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    That's a Stealth HX body with the 3 pups, isn't it? I own a Dinky HX and that's also string-thru but with only 2 pups. The other one looks a little similar to a Framus body, but most likely not.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude, if you worked the magic on those necks like you did on the blue 3DR I bought from you,they ain't no bastards.They probably play like champs!I won't let anyone touch the blue one,that neck is awesome...........
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Dude, if you worked the magic on those necks like you did on the blue 3DR I bought from you,they ain't no bastards.They probably play like champs!I won't let anyone touch the blue one,that neck is awesome...........

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't done anything to the necks...yet! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The Model 4 neck has the original finish on it but the Model 1 had some type of sanding done to it before I got it. It's got some rough sand marks on the back, but I'm not sure if it's down to the wood though. I won't have time for a while to modify them like I did the 3DR, which I glad to hear you still dig!

[ QUOTE ]

That's a Stealth HX body with the 3 pups, isn't it? I own a Dinky HX and that's also string-thru but with only 2 pups. The other one looks a little similar to a Framus body, but most likely not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's a 3-pup HX model. Here's a closer pic where I must've sneezed during the picture. I got the guitar whole from da Bay a couple yrs back for not too much. The body's got some damage near the imput jack. The original Jackson neck's string spacing was very tight, too tight for my fingers so I tried a model neck and it fit with no mods! I needed to replace the bridge saddles as well as the originals were way worn.

"Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Nice. I always liked those when I used to see them in the MF catalog years ago. I saw a guy playing one live in the mid '90s. Those have thinner bodies like all Stealths, right, but just the input jack is on the side of the body on that model instead of on top?

Comment

Both of them are beautiful guitars for sure. Good work! Your model 4's neck looks just like mine. Amazing neck isn't it? I'm too biased...

Comment

I really dig the maple neck bastad! That is sweet..well, both are sweet.

Very nice!

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Love the maple neck, i´m GAS´íng really bad for another maple boarded import charvel, but not to easy to find one in sweden...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Those have thinner bodies like all Stealths, right, but just the input jack is on the side of the body on that model instead of on top?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the input jack is on the side, not on top. I thought only the Concept series had the jack on top? I know there were a few different HX models though.

Comment

As far as the HX series, there's this Stealth HX and there's a Dinky HX which I own (I had another and sold it to SpaceAce). The Dinky HX just had two pups and came stock with a coil tap in the tone pot. I can't recall if there were other HX models or not besides these two.
                    All other Stealths besides the HX had jacks on top, that I'm aware of. I don't know much about the Concept series, but I don't think they ever had the jacks on top.

Comment

From what I've seen, the Stealth HX was kind of a "mutant," in that the left side of the body was thin like a Stealth, but the right side was thicker to accommodate the side-mounted jack. Love that "Charvel HX"--great idea! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        From what I've seen, the Stealth HX was kind of a "mutant," in that the left side of the body was thin like a Stealth, but the right side was thicker to accommodate the side-mounted jack. Love that "Charvel HX"--great idea! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if it's a mutant than it fits me perfect! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I must say the HX body is unlike most other Jackson/Charvel bodies that I've encountered. It has the larger strat-type upper horn not the sleeker horn of a soloist, but the horn is way thinner like you mentioned. The guitar overall is very lightweight, but resonates very well. I've been playing the maple-boarded one more since I just completed it recently. I'm liking the maple board more and more. I was turned off by maple boards early in my guitar playing since my first electric was a POS 3rd-hand Cort strat copy with a busted trussrod and bowed neck I could shoot arrows with!

Oh yeah, both these guitars I fitted with Schaller locking tuners from Warmoth that were a direct drop in without any redrilling. Warmoth sells the kind with the screw tab, while Stew-Mac sells the kind with the rear pin. Here's a pic of 3 of the Schallers next to the 3 of the originals. The stems on the Schallers are a bit shorter, but they still function fine. I was gonna post this in the Tech section since there are often questions about drop-in Locking tuners for J/Cs.

Comment

Working...
                        X