Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you use the midbooster (model series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you use the midbooster (model series)

I think the midbooster on the model series is an amazing device.
    On my amp I have bass and treble all the way up, mid at 2 or 3. I crank up the gain and the volume. If I want classic rock, I turn the volume down until I get a crunch. If I want Blues, I turn on the neck Single or I combine the neck and middle, I turn down the volume more. If I want metal I add a little mid for more 'volume', I crank up the volume. If I want punk, I put the midbooster all the way up and ease up on the volume a bit. It doesn't do cleans :P but eh, for distorted sounds, it makes life way easier. No need to touch the amp. What do you guys think?

Re: How often do you use the midbooster (model series)

I own a 475 (post model series) and almost always keep the mid boost cranked; I felt the sound was too thin w/o it. Once in a while I would back off for a more vintage/straty tone though. The guitar really covers a lot of ground style wise. It's a shame it gets lumped into the shredder category.

Comment

Re: How often do you use the midbooster (model ser

I have a 650xl and I thought it had a gain boost. Either way, I keep it all the way off. It tends to break up the pickups a little more than I prefer. I have some pretty hot pickups in there as it is and I don't need any more gain there. I boost my mids at the amp pretty much all around. I can't imagine using any more from a midboost.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have a 650xl and I thought it had a gain boost. Either way, I keep it all the way off. It tends to break up the pickups a little more than I prefer. I have some pretty hot pickups in there as it is and I don't need any more gain there. I boost my mids at the amp pretty much all around. I can't imagine using any more from a midboost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the stock pick-ups? My stock pick-ups aren't too hot with or without the midboost.

Comment

Ohh my bad, I didn't know the toothpaste series had one too. Looks like I'll want a 650 or a model 6 too not before long [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the stock pick-ups? My stock pick-ups aren't too hot with or without the midboost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I yanked those out long ago. I've got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails set in there now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I yanked those out long ago. I've got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails set in there now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'm still rockin with the stock singles; but I have a Tone Zone in the bridge. The stock p/u's w/o the mid boost are thin sounding so I always kept it dimed. When I changed out the neck humbucker I kept the midboost on out of habit and got used to the sound. So, now it stays on most of the time.

Comment

My model 6 has the stock pups. I used to leave the midboost on all the time but lately I've been playing along with some old stuff like Hendrix and Jeff Beck and turn it off to get a more "straty" sound on the bridge pup. Between the HSS configuration, on/off toggles, and the midboost, these guitars really are quite diverse not just "shredder" guitars. Although they're great for that too! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I like the mid boost with the stock singles, but I turn it down when I use the hummer. I find the boost takes away some of the high-end cut. I like a lot of top-end on a bridge pickup.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

unfortunately that was all yanked from my Mod 6 (along with the pickups and trem) before I got it. Maybe on the next one, though...
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I really loved the mid boost when I had my old Model 6. I kept it on the humbucker all the time. Most of the time I had it off when using the stacked single coils when playing clean, just to get a brighter sound.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have all the way up all the time on my model 4M, wouldn't have it any other way bro.

Comment

i dumped them a long time ago, and put them up for sale on Ebay, everything but the 3 little toggles, and i didn't realize i would get as much as i did for it..the hum was pretty hot, but the overall tone did not have much presence...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i dumped them a long time ago, and put them up for sale on Ebay, everything but the 3 little toggles, and i didn't realize i would get as much as i did for it..the hum was pretty hot, but the overall tone did not have much presence...

[/ QUOTE ]

How much did you get? maybe I'll gut my 475 to fund some new p/u's.

Comment

Working...
                            X